This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

February 18, 2020: On this day, I sat outside of Starbucks and facetimed my friend from home who was having a particularly rough day. I spent the afternoon studying for a macroeconomics test and then in the evening I played an indoor volleyball game with my intramural team. We ended up losing, but it was a fun time. 

For the past four years now, I have kept a journal detailing the little things that I do each day. One day in 2017, while scrolling through Pinterest, I saw this idea called “happiness is…” where each day you write about something that made you happy. This is where I began, and now, I basically write about anything and everything that was memorable from my day. Taking these extra five minutes out before I go to bed has become such an essential part of my day. These personal reflections allow me to have a more positive mindset and they help me relax and unwind after a long day.

I am so happy that I began and continued with this all those years ago as I am physically able to see how much I have grown. Specifically, in March 2017, I tore my ACL and meniscus, which are two important components in the knee. I went through two surgeries, months of rehabilitation and I could not play sports for a total of seventeen months. This was a difficult time for me, however because of journaling I can now look back and see my exact emotions throughout that experience. I think that this daily activity really helped me push forward as I was able to express and begin to understand what I was feeling. Although those months are especially fascinating to read, any day tends to bring me joy. I love how I’ve transformed from a nervous, timid 10thgrader, to the college sophomore that I am now. Reading about my thoughts from all those years ago allows me to appreciate all that I’ve become and all the work I put in to get where I am today. I feel this way after only four years, and I simply cannot wait until I am reading back on my journals twenty years in the future. I know that I can essentially relive my college experience as I will be able to read about how one day I was stressing about a big paper I had due, or how another day my roommates and I simply went to target and bought a disco light, which we then proceeded to plug into the car and dance to. I love that these memories, although they may be forgotten at times, are not temporary. When reading, I vaguely remember each day and it always puts a smile on my face. It truly has made me feel grateful for every day and it encourages me to live each moment to the absolute fullest. 

Although it may be tedious, I encourage everyone to take the time out to write a little bit about your day as it will be so beneficial in the long run. A short sentence or two will allow you to reflect on the best parts of your day, but also where you may need to improve. If you have any small regrets, acknowledging them will encourage you to do better the next time. I have learned so much about myself through journaling and I believe I have become a better person because of it. However, if writing is not your thing, there are other options that achieve the same goal such as taking a photo or video every day. There are so many apps that are designed to help individuals document their day. Overall, whether writing or videoing, these small activities provide countless benefits and your future self will eventually thank you for it. 

Caroline is a sophomore studying International Business and Finance at UT. From Bermuda, you can usually find her on a beach soaking up the sun or playing a game of volleyball. Although new to journalism, she's excited to further develop her writing skills and learn more about herself along the way!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson