Menstrual Health and Homelessness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via TheHomelessPeriod.com

I think it’s pretty safe to say that most people who get periods typically dread them. For me, getting my period means I just have to get through a week of headaches, constantly checking my pants for stains and no sex. “That time of the month” means something different for everyone, really.

But one thing that never crossed my mind (shamefully) until recently, was how homeless women get through their periods. The period product industry is a multi-billion dollar business that profits off of something those with menstrual cycles just can’t help (I mean, I sure as hell didn’t ask to bleed every month). This industry puts homeless women at the bottom of the pyramid with feminine hygiene products costing up to $7 per month and $700 per year.

The cost of these hygiene products often times can lead to homeless women having to pick between tampons and meals– a decision no one should have to make. And let’s not even get into how deprived girls in developing countries are of sanitary period products because that on its own is a huge problem. Homeless women in developed societies like the US seldom have access to period necessities and often resort to using socks, toilet paper or whatever else they can find- which has to end now.Via Twitter

So how can this issue be helped? Well, for one, donating to local homeless shelters is a great way to contribute. Organizations in the area like BRAWS and ThriveDC take donations of unopened pads, tampons and pantiliners.

Other organizations like ISupportTheGirls take and distribute bras and period products to homeless women all over the country.

One brand I’ve really grown to like and use has been L., a company with a mission devoted to helping girls in underdeveloped countries get access to menstruation products, AND they’re geared toward making their products natural with no harsh chemicals. They actually support girls in developing countries get access to products with each purchase that you make– something I am a fan of.

I think it’s always important to

1. Feel no shame for having a period

2. Make it a point for yourself to help others in need.

This cause hits so close to home for anyone with the blessing/curse of a menstrual cycle.

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com