This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The start of a new semester is upon us and with that comes the excitement of new classes, new professors, new friends, and new extracurricular activities. We all start the semester off inspired and wanting to do the best that we can possibly do. Keep reading to find out how you can kickstart your semester and fulfill all of your goals.

1. Clean your room/living space

Although this may seem small, it can actually make a huge difference. There’s nothing worse than starting off the semester with a messy, cluttered room. Do a deep clean and purge all of your unnecessary junk from last semester. Having a clean space will help you feel productive and ready to tackle a new semester head-on.

Via Giphy

2. Set your goals and establish good habits

It’s a new semester and you probably have new goals that you want to fulfill whether it be working out, getting straight A’s, or getting more involved on campus. At the start of the semester, determine what goals you want to achieve this semester and from there, figure out how you can establish good habits to reach that goal. If you want to improve your grades, make the habit of going to office hours or studying regularly every week. If you want to work out more, find a buddy and schedule a time every week where you can go to the gym together. There are multiple habits that you can build to achieve your goals, so start the semester off strong by setting and building the habits that can help you achieve your goals.

Via The Petite Planner

3. Read your syllabi

One of the key things that you must do at the beginning of the semester is to read through all of your syllabi. This will help you know what to expect from the class and how much time and effort you will need to put into that class throughout the semester. I also like to put key dates such as exams and project due dates into my Google calendar and my planner so that I have a general idea of how my semester is going to be from month to month. 

Via My Drifting Desk

Related:How to Make the Most of Your Planner This Semester

4. Make a to-do list

The beginning of the semester can be an overwhelming information overload. Make a list in your planner for each class including textbooks/supplies you need to buy, assignments due in the next couple weeks and any other information that is essential for survival in that class.

Via Pinterest 

5. Use Google calendar or a planner

If you ever feel like you have so much that you want/need to do and not enough time to do anything, the best way to organize yourself is to visualize all of your tasks and activities. Before the beginning of the semester, I plug in all my classes as well as my work schedule. Doing this helps me visualize how much free time I have during the week so that I can determine when I can schedule in other activities such as working out, hanging out with friends, or simply some self-care time.

Via College Info Geek

6. Schedule time to relax and hang out with friends

After the first couple weeks of the semester, people tend to get busy with school and other things, so schedule lunches and hangouts with friends in the first couple weeks of class while you and your friends still have the freedom to do so. It’s also important to give yourself time to relax, so schedule some time for self-care and unwinding.

Via Pinterest 

Good luck with the semester collegiettes, you’re going to kill it!

Amira B

George Mason University '22

Amira is a student at George Mason University pursuing a degree in Global and Community Health. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, baking, and experimenting with fashion and makeup. In the future, she hopes to work in the field of Public Health and be able to travel the world.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com