This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

No more shopping. No more movie theaters. No more amusement parks. No more eating out at restaurants. No more hanging out with friends. 

Staying at home all day every day could be boring at first, but once you get to know your rhythm, it can be quite enjoyable. Here are some tips and some things to do during this social distancing period to keep you sane:

1. Try different cooking and baking recipes

During this time, we’re all going to be eating a lot of home-cooked meals. Instead of cooking what you always cook, take advantage of this time you have to explore new recipes! Pull out that cookbook your family bought years ago and try out recipes that seem interesting to you. Bake something you haven’t baked before. Never tried making homemade tiramisu before? Now is the time!

Not only does this spice up your everyday routine, adding some excitement in your life, you also get to try out new good food. 

2. Start a journal

It’s only been 2-3 weeks of social distancing and it already feels like months. Everything is a blur and you can’t remember what you did the past few weeks. By starting a journal, you can start documenting what you did every day. It doesn’t have to be extensive. It could even just be a concise list of the things you did every day. This way, weeks or months from now, you’ll be able to look back on this period of time and remember all the cool and fun things you did! You can even start a bullet journal to track your habits and document your life in a fun and creative way. If you want to start bullet journaling and you’re not sure how, check out the different YouTube videos. 

3. Start exercising regularly

With classes and work, squeezing in a workout between your busy schedule is not easy. But with the extra time you now have, try to make exercise a habit. Go for a run outside or on a treadmill if you have one every day or every other day to get your blood flowing. Do some push-ups, sit-ups and squats regularly. Try doing some weights to increase your strength. No weights at home? Don’t worry! Be creative and use mundane household items. Do these activities regularly (and mark that down on your journal to document it!)

And when you get bored, go to YouTube and put on some workout videos. This can bring some excitement to your workout routine and make it less boring. 

4. Go outside

Even though there’s no purpose to go outside anymore, it is important for you to go outdoors and get some fresh air on a regular basis. I’m not asking you to go out to crowded places. Walk around your neighborhood after a long day of sitting at home to get some fresh air. Have a run. As long as you keep your distance with your other people, there is no reason why you shouldn’t go out and have a change of environment. (Don’t go out if you’re sick though). 

5. Pick up a book you’ve been wanting to read

With so many things going on in our lives, it is hard to sit down and read for an extended period of time and fully enjoy a book. Now is a great time to make yourself a reading corner or nook and curl up with your favorite fuzzy blanket and read to your heart’s content.

6. Bring back old hobbies

Oftentimes, we stop doing things we enjoy because we don’t have time or sometimes simply for no reason at all. Now is the perfect time to bring back those old hobbies and entertain yourself in another way. Play some piano after a year of not touching the piano or turn that Wii Sports or Mario Kart on and bring back the good memories.

7. Explore new hobbies

No matter who you are or how old you are, there must be something that you’ve wanted to try but didn’t have the time or chance to do so. Start painting, start a website, or even start a podcast! Whatever you have in mind. 

8. Listen to podcasts

It can be boring when you’re not interacting with people (besides your family) every day. It might even drive you insane. Aside from talking to your friends, listening to podcasts is a great way to keep you sane. It’s like having a conversation in your head. While you take a run, wash the dishes, do laundry, just pop in your earphones and it’ll be like you’re having a discussion with someone in real life, keeping you entertained. It is also a great way to advance yourself. 

Marina Li

George Mason University '21

Marina is a junior at George Mason University studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations with a minor in Marketing and Tourism & Events Management. She is a social media coordinator, content creator and event planner. She is the kind of person who would burst out singing Disney, musicals, and Christmas songs out of nowhere. In her free time, she likes to watch corgi compilations, read, watch Netflix, think about life and experience repeated existential and identity crisis. Her dream job is to work with Pixar or Disney Studios.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com