This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Ever sit down to write a paper, an article, or finish a chapter of the novel you’re writing and have no clue, whatsoever, what to actually write? It’s as though there’s a dam blocking the waterfall that is your creativity or ability to write. It happens to the best of us!

Writer’s block is no new affliction. It can happen when you’re stressed, when you’re tired, and when you’re over excited. It occurs whenever it wants to! That doesn’t mean you have to submit to it. Here are some tips that will help you clear that block.

1.     Read a paper, a book, or an encyclopedia

Reading will help give you new ideas or think in a way you haven’t before. This comes from seeing someone else’s perspective or writing style.

2.     Take a break from writing

Watch some Netflix or Hulu and come back to it. Especially if it’s an essay that you’re writing for class. You may just need to give your brain a breather.

3.     Take a vacation from writing

This might apply to hardcore writers, journalist or novelist, but sometimes you have to take a much longer break from writing in order to get back into the groove.

4.     Write. Anything at all.

It doesn’t have to be your topic or even what you’re actually trying to write. Just get words out onto the page even if they don’t make sense, sometimes you can puzzle it together or use it to give you creative fuel. It’s like pumping your gas, you can’t drive the car without it.

5.     Stay positive!

This is very important. Don’t become too dejected when you can’t get anything on the page, it will come. If you’re sad about it or overly frustrated it may take longer for it to come to you. Try to relax and remain positive that it will come.

I believe in you! Write on, collegiettes!

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com