Freshman Diaries: Dorm Room Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Transitioning into college can be tough. Trying to pack your entire life into a tiny room is challenging. When I moved in, I found that I had over packed. I also found myself missing a few things that I realized would be essential later into the year. Don’t fret collegiettes, here’s a list of dorm must haves for a smooth transition into the best years of your life!

Storage: Bins, Tubs, & Cubes

It’s key to keep your dorm organized. In order to minimize clutter in a tiny room, store away items you don’t use as often in large storage tubs. These tubs can easily be tucked away under a lifted bed. For items that are constantly in use, display them in smaller cubes. These cubes can be placed any where in your room for easy access.

Shop: Target, Joann Fabrics, & Bed Bath Beyond

Organization: Bulletin Board, Calendar, & Agenda

I cannot stress enough how important staying on task is. It’s so easy to get distracted and flustered with the start of classes. Deadlines and upcoming assignments are usually on your syllabus. Take the time to write important dates in an agenda and calendar. You will stay organized and no longer feel overwhelmed.

Shop: Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Office Depot, & Staples

Décor: Command Strips and Hooks

Decorating your dorm is a chance to express yourself. In order to display photos, posters, and calendars, you’re going to need some help! Since hammering nails into the wall is not an option, opt for Command Strips. Command Strips are the best way to hang up your items. Depending on the strength you need, Command has it all. Due to a lack of closet space, invest in Command Hooks. The hooks are reusable and can open up more places to hang your items.

Shop: Target, Office Depot, & Staples

Food: Water bottles and Snacks

You might find yourself getting hungry or thirsty while studying. Don’t feel like leaving your dorm? Have a refillable water bottle handy to take to class or keep by your bedside. Snacks are also important. If you don’t want to use up your meal swipes, keep a few healthy snacks in a storage bin. If you’re late to class, having a breakfast bar handy can be a life saver. Your stomach will thank you!

Shop: Target & Grocery Stores

Cleaning: Paper towels, Windex, Clorox Wipes, & Trash bags

Yes, as boring as it sounds, cleaning supplies are essential. Move-in day is probably the messiest day! Keep your dorm clutter-free by keeping trash bags near by. You can never go wrong with Windex and paper towels. Dorms tend to get dusty and you may encounter a few spills here and there. Living in a new environment can have a lot of germs. Clorox Wipes come in handy, especially during the colder months, as sickness tends to circulate on your floor. Wipe down your dorm to prevent bacteria!

Shop: Target, Office Depot, Staples, and Grocery/Drug Stores

Hopefully, these dorm room tips will help you transition into a wonderful year at college! Good luck collegiettes! 

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com