Four Reasons To Hit Up Your Professor’s Office Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Professors are honestly the most underrated resource in college. They write recommendations, take pity on you when you hit the mid-semester slump, and support you as you enter the adult world. Office hours are blocks of time devoted to YOU. Check out all the great things that happen when you visit them:

1. To Introduce yourself

In a class anywhere from 30 to 150 students, always make sure your professor knows your name. When final grades are being entered and a professor knows who you are or that you were always participating, they’re likely to round up to that perfect “A” if you’re on the bubble.

2. To fix or boost your grade

Everyone has a rough semester or a class they just really struggle with. If you take the initiative to attend office hours, it not only shows you care, but that you’re determined to improve as a student. Professors can clarify material and provide extra resources. This is especially useful for students who absorb information a little bit slower or don’t match the overall pace of the course.

3. To get a chance to explore their field

Most people assume that with a degree in education, you can only teach- not true. Most people also assume you can only be a psychologist or psychiatrist with a psychology degree. Also not true. There are endless career paths in every field that you probably don’t know about yet. Your professor is an expert in their field for a reason and will definitely be more than willing to talk about opportunities or potential career paths!

4. To  prepare for life post-grad and get recommendations

Although it may sound scary, it is never too early to start thinking about life after graduation. Whether you’re looking for a job recommendation or a letter for your graduate school applications, be sure to build up relationships with professors. Personalized letters detailing your accomplishments while working with the professor and ensuring your long-term work ethic can help set you apart from hundreds of other applicants.

Your professors are humans too. Take time to get to know them, they’ll probably pretty cool people.

Good luck this semester, Collegiettes!

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com