This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again! After a nice, relaxing break, we are transitioning into “focus mode” as we try to figure out how to ace this semester. It’s always hard to find motivation in the beginning of the semester, but this article will help you figure out which technique may be best for you! 

1. Good Ol’ Planner

I’m sure you have been told before that a planner is helpful. It works best for those that remember things better when they write it now. You can get as creative or be as minimalistic as you would like. A great way to spice it up is by adding a couple stickers/washi tape and color coordinate your classes. Not only will it be pleasing to the eye, it’ll give you motivation to actually get your work done!

Related: 5 Ways to Turn your Planner into your Best Friend

2. Excel spreadsheets

I recently heard about this technique from a friend and it is quite interesting. If you like to have everything in one file, this technique is meant for you! Add in your assignments and due dates in 2 separate columns. Color code them by class, and filter them when needed. You can filter by class or date!

3. Weekly To-Do Lists

While going all in on organizing can be fun, sometimes a simple to-do list is most effective. If you have an iPad and an Apple pencil, it’s really easy to create a list in your Notes app, and highlight the tasks once they are done. At the beginning of the week, I sort all my assignments by the week and highlight them off throughout the week. 

4. Google/Outlook Calendar

For those that are tech savvy and constantly on their devices, this method may work best! With this method, you can visually see all of your events for the day/week/month, color coordinate it, and even set up reminders for each event. You can also add the Zoom link in the event location so you don’t have to go searching for it at the last minute!

Related: How to Cultivate a Schedule for Distance Learning

5. Use a Homework App

Always on your phone? A homework app is for you! There are plenty of homework apps in the app store that can cater to your needs. The “Homework App” allows you to track your homework, organize assignments by class, etc. “Egenda” allows you to set reminders for all your assignments so you never fall behind. Surf through the app store, and see which app is perfect for you! 

Regardless of which method you go for, remember to have fun with it! We have to get through this semester somehow, and being organized will make it go that much smoother! Happy organizing, collegiates. 

Shabrina Parikh

George Mason University '21

Hi! My name is Shabrina, and I am a senior majoring in Information Systems and Operations Management. When I am not busy in my RA role, you can find me giving campus tours. I aspire to one day change the world with my words, and make a difference in my own little way.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com