This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The 2020 presidential election has been making headlines for months now with new candidates adding their names to the hat every few weeks. It’s great to be informed about these candidates ahead of time (duh) but we can’t forget the 2019 elections in Virginia.

If you didn’t already know, Virginia is one of the few states that has an election each and every year. This year, all 40 seats of the Senate of Virginia and 100 seats in the Virginia House of Delegates are up for re-election, as are many local offices. The primary takes place on June 11th and elections will take place on November 5th.

Photo courtesy of author

Absentee voting for the primary has begun, so if you’re heading home for the summer make sure to get your ballot in! You can vote early absentee in person at the Fairfax County Government Center or request your ballot to mail! If you are not already registered to vote you can get registered here!

In 2017, Democrats in Virginia won many seats previously held by Republicans but were still unable to gain the majority. This election could change that. However, given recent events, many are skeptical about the Democrats ability to win this election. All eyes will be on Virginia this November.

Collegiettes, no matter which party you vote for, make sure your voice is heard and VOTE!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com