Courtney Boone: New Writer Profile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Courtney Boone is a junior studying Psychology at George Mason University. She recently transferred to GMU from Northern Virginia Community College and joined the Her Campus George Mason team this fall. Read about what she has to say about her experience with Her Campus thus far!

Juliane Veloso: How did you hear about Her Campus and Her Campus George Mason?

Courtney Boone: When I was graduating from community college and researching George Mason University, I stumbled upon the Her Campus George Mason microsite and then the national website all by accident. I fell in love with the writing style and started reading it regularly. I liked the social media presence and related to a lot of the content.

JV: What inspired you to apply for Her Campus George Mason?

CB: I applied for Her Campus George Mason on a whim hoping it would give me the chance to continue my love of journalism and help get acclimated to a big university. I wanted to continue writing for some sort of publication. I also love how open Her Campus is. I love the freedom to write about anything from makeup to social issues because I feel like that’s what all college girls discuss. My goal in writing is to start a conversation. 

JV: What was your initial reaction when you received an offer to join the Her Campus George Mason team?

CB: I was beyond excited to be offered a chance to write for the team. It eased a lot of my fears about moving away from home to GMU because I already felt like I was a part of something important on campus. Since joining, I’ve only had the privilege to watch the chapter grow. 

JV: What has been your favorite part about being part of the Her Campus George Mason team?

CB: My favorite part about being on the team is being surrounded by such successful women from a wide range of backgrounds. I have an editor that does event planning and a friend on the team studying Russian who wants to travel the  world. It’s not just PR and journalism people. The team reflects most of the concentrations at GMU and I constantly feel like I have a group of women who inspire me to be better.

JV: How has Her Campus made you an empowered college women?

CB: Her Campus has made me far more proud in my ability to write and express my thoughts. If I can share my ideas on Facebook through an article, what’s stopping me from sharing the same thoughts in front of a class of 200 people? 

JV: How has Her Campus contributed to your college experience?

CB: Her Campus has contributed to my college experience in so many ways and I’m excited to see what else it brings me my senior year. I tell everyone I meet to look us up on Facebook and read the articles or refer them to something a fellow staff member wrote about academic tips or makeup reviews. Also, Her Campus inspired me to write for my sorority’s international leadership publication. I was selected as one of the four girls, and I honestly never would have been brave enough to do that if I hadn’t had the experience writing for Her Campus first. 

Interested in writing for Her Campus?

Apply to be a Writer for Her Campus George Mason!

Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev