This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When I got accepted into George Mason University, one of the first things I got excited about was having the opportunity to head into DC and look at the Cherry Blossoms. Well, that time is here — and, although I got up at 5:30 in the morning, seeing the sunrise over the newly bloomed Cherry Blossoms is something I’ll never forget. So, here are some fun facts and cute pictures from my morning admiring one of nation’s most valuable symbols of friendship, with some of the most incredible people I know.

We got in right before sunrise and as the sun began to peek over the Lincoln Memorial, the cherry blossoms quickly bounced off the early morning glow of the DC sky. There’s something so remarkably breathtaking about the Cherry Blossoms that I encourage everyone, either in the area or willing to take the trip, to take advantage of.

One of my favorite things about Cherry Blossom season is its interesting traditions. First Lady Helen Taft planted a Cherry Blossom tree back when her husband was in office, creating a tradition for each of the First Ladies to be active and involved in the process every Spring. You go, ladies!

Also, if you do go, there is something very crucial to remember — there’s a no climbing policy on the Cherry Blossoms. So don’t be that dumb person who does try to. Trust me, you can get plenty of cute Insta pics from the ground. Hey, who knows? You might even get an opportunity to throw what you know and as a soon to be sister of Pi Beta Phi, I couldn’t help but show my wings.

Most of all, just go in and take some time to enjoy the beauty that is the Cherry Blossoms. We have a rich history with the Cherry Blossoms starting way back in 1912 when Japan gave us the first Cherry Blossoms as a symbol of friendship. That tradition continues today as they still serve as a reminder of the two countries finding peace. I even encourage you to embrace this nature, and go in with some friends. I was so lucky to go visit with some of the members of the Leadership and Community Engagment LLC (Living Learning Community) that I’m apart of. Love you ladies so much!

(Photographed from Left to Right: Jocelyn Martinez, Christine Bienes, Taylor Sprague, Mia Moore, Katherine Quigley, and Zim Okala // Photo Credits: the incredible Patty Mathison)

But, never fear there’s still plenty more to come about the Cherry Blossoms — as many people know, DC puts on a whole festival in regards to this. The Cherry Blossom Festival will kick-off this weekend, on March 26th with the opening ceremonies and will continue with activities and events all the way until mid-April. On, April 16th there will be the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. For more info, you can go to http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org. So, you don’t have to get up quite as early as we did but if you choose to I’m telling you, you won’t regret getting to see the Cherry Blossoms at Sunrise. Either way, I hope you all can get the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the blossoms!

All photos were taken without credits were taken by me.

Katherine Quigley

George Mason University

A Freshmen here at George Mason University, Katherine is an Individualized Major with a concentration in Speech Language Pathology. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is is apart of Best Buddies and the Leadership and Community Engagment LLC on campus.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com