This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s almost December, and that means Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year’s and personal winter celebrations. For many, that means finding the perfect gifts for friends and family. Consumerism is at a high during this season, leaving gift-givers in a position to buy new goods which might not even be used or fully appreciated. This year, consider a few sustainable items for your shopping list that will make a positive impact on the planet and give joy in the form of education and action.

1. A copy of Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring 50th Anniversary Edition

Via Amazon

There is so much good to be said about this book. Rachel Carson was a writer, biologist and ecologist who challenged conventions and started the environmental movement as we know it today. Silent Spring is not only scientific in its explanation of pesticides and the toxicological effects on not only the ecosystem, but masterful, poetic, and very readable for the subject matter at hand. It will change any reader into an activist.

2. Some looks from your local thrift store or second-hand shop

Fast fashion, or the quick buying and disposal of clothing, is a massive environmental issue. You can offset this impact by thrifting instead of heading straight for the mall. Thrift stores have more variety than department stores and often sell the same brands at affordable prices. You can find a closet staple for whoever you’re shopping for. (Or for yourself, we won’t tell.)Via Goodwill

3. The Luci Pro Series: Lux + Mobile Charging

MPOWERED has many varieties of inflatable LED solar lights that can be brought on hikes and are able to fully charge a phone via USB. It works well for a light in tents or next to camping bags right under the stars. It’s not only durable and sustainable, it’s an aesthetic.

Via MPOWERED

4. Socks that support the World Wildlife Fund

Does your person have a favorite animal? Or three? You can support the WWF with donations that go directly to wildlife conservation around the globe, and get some awesome socks. (They have avocados and panda bears.) Also, free shipping!

Via World Wildlife Fund

5. America the Beautiful National Parks Pass

Supporting our National Parks is important in a time where wildlife populations and untouched forests are in decline. With over fifty national parks, there’s no end to biodiversity or natural beauty. This is the gift for someone who loves to travel, hike, or photograph.

Via US Park Pass

6. Annie’s Homegrown Mac & Trees™

This is the best-priced item on the list and also the most delicious. Why it’s environmentally friendly? The shapes of course. But also, Annie’s donates ten thousand dollars of profits from this product to fund school gardens throughout the country. That’s great for fostering a generation of environmentally aware youth and bringing locally grown produce to school cafeterias.

Via Target

7. A subscription to National Geographic

National Geographic covers a lot more than just environmental issues and nature photography so it can be a great gift for anyone who likes to read. It is current in conversation about climate change, conservation and features articles on the groundbreaking fieldwork done by scientists in the environmental and ecological fields.

Via National Geographic

8. Donate trees to fight California forest fires

One Tree Planted is a non-profit with a bunch of cool products that plant tree. This gift stands out in that the trees help with a consequence of climate change and human activity — they fight forest fires that happen on the daily in California. You can help reforest with 100 trees depending on your price range, and do so with a certificate to your intended receiver so they know just how much of an impact the gift makes.

Via One Tree Planted

9. Potted plants or native seeds

One of the simplest gifts on this list, a plant is hands-on and durable for the long run. Indoor plants like succulents work great for a dorm room, adding oxygen and a bit of brightness to the space. If you’re shopping for a gardener or someone with an outdoor area, consider native flowers, bushes, or trees. Make sure to check you aren’t purchasing invasive species, which damage the natural ecosystem.

Via Arbor Day Foundation

Whatever you buy this holiday season, think about impact. Don’t let your gift be hidden under someone’s bed, tucked away in kitchen cabinets, or thrown out by January. Give something that doubles as a gift to Mother Earth.

Sophia Chapin

George Mason University '21

Sophia Chapin is an alumni of George Mason University. Her articles reflect a journey of learning about environmental and social justice issues.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com