6 Must-Watch Shows and Movies That’ll Get You in the Mood For #SpookySeason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As the trees begin to turn orange and the days seem to become shorter, the fall season fully welcomes the spooky ambience that comes with Halloween. With the 31st  slowly creeping up, it’s time to cue the nights inside watching scary shows and movies with some popcorn and your girls! Here’s your must-see list to start off the frightening season with!

1. The SinnerVia USA Network

Take a deep dive into the complicated maze that is the human psyche by watching USA’s original short series, The Sinner. After a young mother commits a horrific act in public for no apparent reason and with no recollection of it, a criminal investigator makes it his mission to unveil her past demons to explain her actions. The show reveals the risks and potential dangers of suppressing your memories so much that could change you morality subconsciously, so, ponder: Are you morally insane or convinced yourself as sane?

2. Making a Murderer

Via IMDb

Next up is something for all the documentary junkies, Making a Murder. The documentary style show investigates the sexual assault and attempted murder of Penny Beerntsen, and after looking into multiple aspects of the incident, the documentary puts it onto the audience to determine their verdict on the incrimination of the accused and convicted, Steven Avery. Suspicious crime has never been so intriguing yet thrilling to watch, especially with a present day case like this.

3. The Fall

Via IMDb

Moving across the pond is the UK’s murder mystery drama, The Fall. Different from the other shows, the show utilizes two points of view, both from the murder and the detective– so you’re really able to get into the plot! Mixing romance, thrill and suspense, this show gives you all you can ask for. Get spooky while you try to figure out this murderer’s motives and maybe fall in love with him. (It’s Jamie Dornan if I haven’t mentioned.)

4. Stranger Things

Via IMDb

Next on the list is Netflix’s golden child, Stranger Things. After its critically acclaimed debut in 2016, the show was accepted very well for its first two seasons. Now, with season three and four in the making, there’s no better time to catch up and see what Eleven and the boys have been up to in the Underground. Set in the 80’s, the show is the perfect fix for those fiending for something scary with a throwback feel. Although supernatural and sort of complicated to understand at first, the show makes sure all the pieces fit at the end, just watch out for the demogorgons!

5. Black Mirror

Via IMDb

If you’re not scared or skeptical of anything, watch one episode of Black Mirror and you won’t see the world the same anymore. The show is a set up as a non-continuous series, meaning that each episode has a different plot. Mainly centered around themes of the future and what it entails, this show will make you contemplate your next step. Are you ready for the future?

6. The Vanishing of Sidney Hall

Via IMDb

Saving the best for last is A24’s The Vanishing of Sidney Hall. Investigating the reason for his disappearance, the audience takes a trip through a complicated author’s past to eventually figure out his whereabouts. Not only is the movie aesthetically pleasing, but it also hinders a feeling of thrill and fear everyone craves this time of year. Make sure you pay close attention, because every small detail brings you closer to solving this mysterious disappearance!

Happy #SpookySeason, collegeittes!

Fiorella Izquierdo

George Mason University '23

Fiorella Izquierdo is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. She is happiest when she has a magazine in one hand and a chai latte in the other. Music, fashion, and cooking are some of her other passions, which keeps her busy in her free time. In the future, Fiorella hopes to work as a creative director and travel the world doing what she loves!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com