This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s that time of year again- spooky season (aka fall). Although COVID-19 has changed the way many holidays are celebrated this year, we can still celebrate autumn and Halloween in a safe, socially distanced way! Whether you’re a college student balling on a budget or simply need enjoyable fall activities, here are four ideas to safely welcome the season. 

Decorate Your House/Dorm

Fall has ALWAYS been my favorite season for decorating. From pumpkins and aesthetic color pallets to creepy outdoor blowups, there are many (cheap) options to choose from when decorating your dorm or household. 

If you’re looking to add a touch of autumn to your dorm, one of the simplest ways is to trace and cut out colored Halloween templates, such as leaves and pumpkins. Afterward, you can hang (or tape) the cutouts to walls and easily remove them when you wish. If you’re willing to purchase decorations, most stores have different hangable Halloween streamers and dimensional skeletons ranging from two to eight dollars. Last year, a group of residents in my dorm hall decorated the whole hallway using these and it was ADORABLE. 

When it comes to more expensive outdoor decorations, there are many creepy inflatables available at most stores. One of my favorites (that I, unfortunately, don’t own) is the 12-foot skeleton which is about $300. On the other hand, there are smaller ghosts, pumpkins, and skeleton inflatables ranging from $20-$120. 

Whichever way you decide to decorate, you are bound to have a festive-fall living area. 

Related: Fall Decor Ideas to Spice Up Your Dorm Room

Explore Safe Fall Festivities in Your Area

Unfortunately, many haunted houses, corn mazes, and other popular activities that require long lines have been canceled due to COVID-19. 

Upon research, it seems quite a few places are still offering pumpkin picking and even drive-through haunted houses! Some may require purchasing tickets beforehand or signing a waitlist, so it’s best to plan ahead before you venture anywhere. Below are a few places with fall festivities in the Northern Virginia area:

Cox Farms Centerville, VA: Fall festival with a self-driven hayride and a Fall Market

Haunted Hollow Warrenton, VA: A walk through an outdoor haunted house

Blue Ridge Mountain Corn Maze Lovingston, VA: 5-acre corn maze with a pumpkin patch

A Socially Distanced Bonfire With Fall Treats

My favorite activity I do on the daily to relax during Autumn is to sit around a fire and roast marshmallows. Since we are experiencing a pandemic, a socially-distanced bonfire with bringing your own treats is a great way to experience the chilly air while also getting to socially interact. 

This is also a great opportunity to watch Halloween/horror movies while enjoying the weather and company!

Related: The Top 7 Things to Do with Your Significant Other During Spooky Season

Have a Halloween Movie Marathon

If you’re stuck at home on a rainy and chilly day, I 100% recommend having a Halloween movie marathon! Grab some popcorn and a warm pumpkin spice drink and relax with some of my favorite movies listed below.

-“Hocus Pocus“: Family/comedy from 1993

-“The Nightmare Before Christmas“: Animation/fantasy from 2011

-“Halloweentown“: Family/fantasy from 1998

-“The Addams Family“: Comedy from 1991

Soak in The Autumn Air and Scenery

One of the simplest ways to enjoy the season is to get outside and surround yourself with nature. Between the crisp air and beautiful colors, it is a perfect way to stay active while also soaking in the fall weather. Additionally, it gives you an excuse to purchase stylish chunky sweaters and boots to stay warm. 

As the months of fall begin to take over with all things pumpkin spice, make sure you give yourself time to relax and soak up everything the season has to offer.

Kaylee Jeffries

George Mason University '23

Kaylee is a sophomore at George Mason University where she studies communications, public relations, and journalism. She enjoys writing, editing, and managing social media to reach audiences through various platforms. In her down time, you'd find her at Dunkin' Donuts grabbing an iced coffee with friends and family, watching Parks and Rec, and writing content to express herself.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com