Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Things You Need to Know About Planning a Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I recently got engaged and am now in full-on wedding planning mode. This is coming from the girl who’s never even been to a wedding before, so I’ve learned quite a lot over the past two months. Hopefully, my advice will help some of you whether you’re getting married in a month or in 10 years.

1. There is no right way to plan a wedding

You might already have an idea of what kind of wedding you want and that’s okay. Everyone has their own idea of what they like (your Pinterest board is probably already full of ideas). Whether that be traditional or nontraditional, big or small, vintage or boho, you should be able to do what you want without worrying about what other people think. With all the expectations our society puts on brides and weddings, it’s important to know that whatever kind of wedding you want is perfectly fine.

2. People are going to give you unsolicited advice

This ties into my first reason. Since people have different styles and tastes in weddings, people are most likely gonna let you know if they don’t like something. This sucks, but just let them say what they think and then move on. It’s better to let people voice their opinion and feel like they’re making a helpful contribution, even if they’re not. Just remember that if someone doesn’t like the way you’re planning you shouldn’t try to change for them.

3. Learn how to compromise

Compromise is one of the hardest parts of planning a wedding. Personally, my fiancé’s family is from a different culture than mine, so each family has a whole different idea of what a wedding entails. It’s helpful to communicate and prioritize to let the other family know what aspects of a wedding are most important to you. That way you can compromise on the rest. Trust me, nothing is worse than having unhappy in-laws.

Related: 5 Reasons Why I Don’t Want to Get Married

4. You have to be patient

It’s tempting to start planning searching venues the second you get engaged, but it’s important to be patient. Sit down and talk with your fiancé about what your budget is, when you want to get married and what kind of wedding you will have. It’s also important to take the time to just enjoy being engaged before jumping into the stresses of wedding planning.

5. All that matters is that you are happy

Planning a wedding is stressful and expensive. At the end of the day, all anyone will remember is the joy and happiness of your wedding. No matter what people say, do what feels right in your heart. Everyone else will be happy because you and your spouse are happy.

With all of these things in mind, I hope everyone has a positive experience planning the ~happiest~ day of their lives.

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com