5 Reasons Why We Need the Blue Light System at GMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As of today, there have been two reported cases of sexual assault on our campus. Mason police have been successful in warning other students in a timely manner with the digital alert system, but what can we do to feel safer? A solution to this is the Blue Light System. According to Public Safety at Syracuse University, The Blue Light System is a series of emergency alarm stations strategically located throughout the campus to provide assistance to anyone in distress. A blue beacon is positioned above each alarm station. Here are a few reasons I think GMU needs to put in the Blue Light System.

1. They would make us feel safer. 

Although these systems do not eradicate attacks and assaults, they are often the only source of help. Seeing these around campus might give us a better sense of security and safety. 

2. Cell phones aren’t always reliable.

When phones die or lose data, they are basically useless. These systems don’t need a wifi connection to operate and can help when our phones don’t.

3. They could deter attackers. 

Just as security cameras ward off most criminals, these devices could scare off attackers if they see them all over the campus. 

4. They could pinpoint exact locations of trouble.

Not every phone has a locator or automatically turns your location on when calling in an emergency. These systems have a direct line to authorities and they will be alerted of the exact location the signal was sent out to. 

5. GMU is the only university in Virginia without the Blue Light System.

This is sad, but true. GMU is the only University in Virginia without this emergency system, reasoning we received for this during orientation or campus tours was because “Fairfax has a very low crime rate”. George Mason University needs to step it up and enact this system soon. 

Disclaimer: All Opinions stated above are my own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus George Mason University.

Photo courtesy of The Daily Orange

Courtney Spencer

George Mason University

Courtney is a Public Relations major at GMU and the Editor for Her Campus here. She hails from Chesapeake, Virginia, the #3 most boring city in the country. As a sophomore, she has already achieved #1 A-list fame in the Kim Kardashian: Hollywood game. As a Junior, she has already achieved a twitter follow from Aly and AJ, so basically her life is set. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can be found on Tumblr, Instagram, or Twitter probably droning on about Harry Styles or puppies (but not all the time so follow me! @cspencerr). If you see her around campus, don't be shy, say hi!
Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev