This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Let’s face it; life moves fast. In all the chaos of classes, work, family and friends it can be easy to fall behind on the happenings of the world. Sure, you could pick up bits of the news via Twitter everyday, but these five podcasts are a better solution. Whether you’re stuck in NoVa traffic or hauling it all the way to Peterson Hall, stay up-to-date and pass the time with these five podcasts.

1. The New York Times’ “The Daily”

Via The New York Times

Hosted by Michael Barbaro, “The Daily” hones in on a big news story of the day. Similar to The New York Times’ “Daily Briefings” (which I highly recommend if you actually check your email every morning, btw), “The Daily” uploads five days a week. Every episode clocks in at around a digestible twenty minutes, so it’s easy to keep up with and–if you get behind–catch up on. The show’s concise approach to its stories make it a must-have in your podcast subscriptions. Listen to “The Daily” on Spotify and iTunes.

2. “Keep It!”

Via Crooked Media

“Keep It!” is a Crooked Media pop culture podcast co-hosted by Ira Madison III, Kara Brown and Louis Virtel. The show is also joined by a variety of special guests–from authors and activists to musicians and more. Each week, “Keep It!” fills you in on the latest news in entertainment. Despite each episode being about an hour in length, Madison, Brown and Virtel make the time pass quickly with their humor, wit and extensive references. Listen to “Keep It!” on Spotify and Itunes.

3. “Pod Save America”

Via Crooked Media

“Pod Save America” is another Crooked Media podcast with co-hosts Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer and Tommy Vietor–all of whom were former aides to President Obama. It’s dedication to being a “no-bullshit conversation about politics” is well worth your time. Episodes tend to range from an hour to an hour and a half long, but trust me, you’ll want to listen to what they have to say. Quick disclaimer: Unlike “The Daily” or the next podcast on our list, the hosts have no issues with bringing in their own opinions and feelings into the discussion. If you’re looking for a podcast that’s a little more center of the aisle, this one might not be for you. Listen to “Pod Save America” on Spotify and Itunes.

Related: Best Podcasts to Start Your Day

4. The BBC World Service’s “Global News Podcast”

Via the BBC World Service

Staying up to date on the happenings of our country is one thing. Global news is another ordeal. Thankfully, the “Global News Podcast” from the BBC World Service delivers the top stories in international news. And it does so in less than thirty minute episodes uploaded twice a day! The format is similar to a news radio program, but without all the ad breaks. Listen to “Global News Podcasts” on Spotify and Itunes.

5. The New York Times’ “Still Processing”

Via The New York Times & Nylon

Also from The New York Times, “Still Processing” is a podcast where writers and hosts Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham talk all things pop culture. In contrast to the “Keep It!” podcast, this one is a little less discussion based. Since there are only two of them, Morris and Wortham have a lot of room to bring in their thoughts and analyses in full breadth. As an added bonus: something about their voices is just really soothing. Episodes vary between 40 to 50 minutes long. Listen to “Still Processing” on Spotify and Itunes.

Bonus: NPR’s “Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!”

Via NPR

Test your knowledge of the news with “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!,” the radio-slash-podcast show that’s been around for ages (1998, to be exact) hosted by Peter Sagal. Each week the hour-long show features guests challenged with deciphering between what news is real and what’s made-up–it’s fun to play along. Listen to “Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!” on Spotify, Itunes and your local NPR station.

Whether you’re listening on the way to class or during your evening skin routine, we hope these podcasts will help you stay on top of the news!

Sarah Mae Dizon

George Mason University '21

Sarah Mae Dizon is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a minor in Social Justice and Human Rights. She is a proud Filipina-American who, in between cups of coffee, likes to write a thing or two.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com