This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock then you have probably heard the Democrat Party has launched a formal impeachment inquiry into President Donald J. Trump. Let’s say, however, that you just are now crawling out from under that rock you have been so comfortably situated under, and I don’t blame you American politics have been a trainwreck since the fateful day our current commander and chief took office, here are 5 fast facts you need to know about the impeachment inquiry. What? Who? How? Where? When? We love a politically informed queen!

1. What the heck happened?

Trump is accused of pressuring Ukranian president Volodymyr Zelensky into opening a corruption investigation into his political opponent Joe Biden. The phone call took place on July 25 and is the foundation of the impeachment inquiry. 

Via Giphy

2. Who is involved?

Former vice president of the United States Joe Biden and his son are at the center of Trump’s push for Ukranian investigation of corruption. Biden’s son was hired by a Ukranian gas company in 2014 and Biden led diplomatic campaigns under the Obama administration in Ukraine, both of which Trump and his administration have used in their attempt to link the Bidens to corrupt Ukranian dealings. There have not been any validated relations between the Bidens and Ukraine outside of their work duties. 

Via Giphy

3. What makes this grounds for impeachment?

Trump committed what is called “political malfeasance”. To simplify, he behaved in direct violation of his constitutional duties as president by engaging such a dialogue with Ukraine, and to do so to further his bid for re-election and target another political candidate in the 2020 race makes the mistake even more damning. Not to mention the fact that any time an elected official uses their power or resources to make others behave a certain way that is a red flag of ~coercion~ and ~blackmail~. This blatant and now documented violation is what gives the Democratic Party grounds to call Trump’s actions into question in a formal manner. 

Via Giphy

Related: Let’s Talk About the Whistleblower and What it Means for Impeachment

4. What do elected officials have to say?

According to CNN, there are 223 house democrats who support impeachment proceedings and a former republican which in total constitute more than half the chamber. There have been public statements of approval released by members of the House as well. Here is a link to read some statements made by members of the House, including Nancy Pelosi and John Lewis. 

Via Giphy

5. What has Trump’s reaction been?

Laced with immaturity in the form of a Twitter tirade, but that is to be expected. He has attacked the anonymity of the whistleblower and there has been a blatant sort of disorder within his inner circle and the Republicans who still support him. 

Via Giphy

I know that it is very easy to become disillusioned with politics and news in today’s world, especially with this administration. Personally, the chaos of Trump’s administration just seemed like one thing after another. The acts of ignorance and idiocy committed often have made me want to turn away, however, such a blatant violation cannot be ignored. Try your best to stay informed, collegiettes!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com