This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you’re all about fashion and dressing to-the-nines even as you work or attend Zoom university from home, then you must understand this whole social media frenzy over 2000s fashion trends that are making their way back to the mainstream. Because of this, you may have seen a growing number of Instagram content creators wearing low-rise jeans and a whole hashtag trend of TikTok creators cutting their hair DIY-style to achieve the perfect pair of curtain bangs. 

Now, to say these trends are merely hipster is a complete understatement because it is common knowledge in the fashion industry how fashion trends recur in cycles and pieces from 15 years ago are meant to come back. Plus, if you’re someone like me who enjoys being fashionable without breaking the bank, then you might be checking these fashion trends off the list with pieces you already have in your closet.

Related article: Your 2021 Fashion Forecast, As Told By College Students

1. Low-rise jeans

In the early 2000s, low-rise or low-cut jeans were the closet staple for any it-girl out there. Hollywood stars like Destiny’s Child, Christina Aguillera, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton all wore these hip-bone revealing jeans to red carpet events – no, they were not the worst dressed. Although this fashion sense had faded out in 2010, the trend recently sparked rumours of coming back after seeing Victoria Beckham and Bella Hadid wear low-rise jeans out in public in 2016. Since then, TikTok creators have styled more looks with low-rise jeans, attesting to its body flattering fit.

2. Baguette bags

A fashion staple that originated in the late 90s, baguette bags are strategically designed with short shoulder straps and a compact design to fit right under the arm and resemble the effortlessly chic style of French women. Worn by fashion icons like Paris Hilton, the Hadid sisters and Sarah Jessica Parker, these baguette bags have a timeless sense of style now mixed in with modernized approaches to the classic handbag, thus making a baguette bag for every occasion or sense of style. Now more than ever, the merchandise market has baguette bags coming from a variety of brands whether in luxury stores, thrift stores or online dupe stores. 

3. Chunky jewelry

Statement jewelry pieces are not new trends and have been around since the 80s with the large hoop earrings down to the 90s with the chokers and crystal headbands. Now, however, chunky jewelry pieces are coming back on a larger scale with more bright, chunky jewelry pieces made out of resin or acrylic. Some of the most common pieces include rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces. So far, we’ve seen stars like Bella Hadid, Dua Lipa and Emma Chamberlain.

4. Curtain bangs

This hair trend originated in the 60s and 70s, and was first worn by stars like Brigette Bardot, Goldie Hawn, and Farrah Fawcett. As the name suggests, curtain bangs are parted down the middle, cut short to about the ear length and are swept to the side, highlighting the eyes and the face for a sultry and sophisticated look. Decades later, these bangs are consistently making statements in the fashion industry because they are low-maintenance, lightweight, versatile and stylistic. So, if you’re looking for a new, more stylish or sophisticated look or simply just looking for something spontaneous to do with your hair, then I recommend you give curtain bangs a try.

5. Sweater vests and cardigans

Last and most definitely not the least, the most versatile fashion pieces of the bunch – sweater vests and cardigans. If you’re like me, a 21-year-old easily influenced by fashion trends on TikTok and Instagram, then you might already know that sweater vests and cardigans have been the iconic style staple since the pandemic started early last year. Since then, the style has been growing, as it is incorporated onto the latest baggy jeans and curtain bangs trend going on, but more than that, the style has also been incorporated into parisian chic styles and minimal styles attesting to the fashion pieces’ versatility. 

These are just some of the top 2000s fashion trends making their way back into the 2021 fashion scene. I hope you try some of them out, step out or into your comfort zone, try something new, be spontaneous or simply watch from afar. Just remember that style doesn’t have to entail a heavy price tag. 

Related article: Aesthetic-Themed Outfits To Expand Your Fashion Horizons
Dominique Bernardino

George Mason University '21

Originally from the Philippines, Dominique "Niki" Bernardino is a rising junior pursuing a double degree in Public Relations and Film at George Mason University. When she isn't managing her social media internship or working as a multimedia editor, she enjoys watching sappy rom-coms, listening to k-pop, and exploring the internet.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com