pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Will Be Acceptable After I Graduate?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Four years can turn into four memories overnight.  Each one more hysterical and ridiculous than the last.  But you grew up along the way, and now you would never think of doing something so senseless.  Too many people told me college ends in the blink of an eye when I was a freshman, and now I catch myself saying the same to my freshman sister.  I could go into all of the sentimental, sad stuff, but it’s too early for that.  At the moment, I’m mostly worried about what will be acceptable after college.  Here are a few of the situations I’ve pondered, and I’ll let you be the judge.

Will it be acceptable to…

Rock a crop top? When I first started going to bars, my friends and I instantly noticed we looked out of place.  It wasn’t because we thought amaretto sours were the only drink to order, either.  Instead, our outfits gave us away.  I’m talking crop tops, mini-skirts, leather jackets, and low-cut shirts, all combined with our smoky eyes.  I’m sorry, but I refuse to wear a pair of heels with boot-cut jeans and a sweater, or a shapeless shift dress (just because it’s leopard print doesn’t mean it’s working).  There are way too many amazing pieces out there that you only have your twenties to show off, so leave the J. Crew catalog at the office.          

Drop it low?  Maybe you drop it so low that you fall on the ground and must be helped up.  Or your hands find their way to your knees, and next thing you know, you’re doing the Charleston.  Or maybe, those same hands somehow find their way to the floor, and then people start questioning which music video you were in.  I know you have that signature dance move you only whip out when you’ve had one too many vodka tonics.  Your friends tell you about it the next morning, so you can mope around mortified that your crush had to witness such a thing.

Sleep all day?  Once upon a time, there was a semester when my class schedule worked out perfectly, and I found myself with absolutely nothing to do Thursday through Sunday.  I still question what I possibly did half the week, besides went to the gym and finished homework.  When Sunday came around, I had the perfect excuse to lie around all day eating macaroni and cheese; I mean, what else would I possibly do?!  Now, I feel like I don’t have a minute to spare, and I’m not even a real person, yet!  When you’re finally a working girl, I have a feeling you’ll make the most of your Saturdays and Sundays.

Lose your phone?  Whether it’s your phone, a contact, a sandal, or your dignity, we all have those nights where we lose everything except the clothes we’re wearing.  I feel like in the real world, it won’t fly if you come into work phoneless; you’ll have to explain to your office mates that the cab didn’t hear your screams once you got out and your precious iPhone didn’t.   

Fall on your face?  You crawl out of you bed, look in the mirror, and it all comes flooding back.  You tripped over some branches and scratched your face.  Other times, you just can’t place when you possibly sprained your ankle.  And often, you wonder why the tops of your feet ache, while questioning if you can even be injured there.  It happens, you’re clumsy, and you get over it after Snapchatting everyone your sad face.  That limp probably won’t fly when you stroll into work on Monday morning, though…     

Just because college comes to an end doesn’t mean your fun has to.  There is a place and time for everything, and your twenties are for living freely and experiencing everything and anything.  Be mature and responsible, but don’t lose your youth in the process.   

Avalon Swindell Jones

George Mason University

Avalon is a senior at George Mason University, majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and minoring in both business and electronic journalism.  She has been writing for Her Campus since fall 2011, allowing her to discover her passion for writing.  Her favorite topics to write about are relationships, embarrassing moments, and nights out.