This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Podcasts are great (and usually free) ways to learn something new, have a laugh, or indulge in some good old-fashioned escapism. There’s something out there for every niche interest under the sun, from sports to reality TV to Dungeons & Dragons. There’s celebrity podcasts, whole networks, and independent shows – it’s the new frontier. 

If you weren’t a podcast person before lockdown, there’s a good chance you are now. Pressing play on a conversation between people who you don’t live with, a conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with the things in your life that are stressful. At least, that’s how I get through the quarantine moments where I feel like the walls are closing in and I’m the last person on Earth. 

But I’m not here to rhapsodize about how awesome podcasts are (which, like, they are, but I digress). I’m here to share some killer recommendations. You see, true crime is arguably one of the most popular podcast genres, and for good reason. If you’re looking to get spooked by something other than a horror movie this October, check out my top five favorite true crime podcasts! 

1. Let’s Not Meet with Andrew Tate 

True horror stories, written by those who made it out alive and narrated in first person. Each episode is about half an hour and features several stories. There’s no background music, no frills, just plain scary stuff. Highly recommended for anyone looking for some shorter spooks! 

2. Supernatural with Ashley Flowers

Every Wednesday, Ashley Flowers covers a different strange and unexplained mystery. Alien abductions, ghost stories, conspiracies – almost every episode leaves you unsettled if not downright spooked. Ashley’s voice is one of my favorites (she has a few other projects, too!), and the addition of some spooky background sounds really add to the ambiance. One of my favorites! 

3. Small Town Murder 

While definitely not the spookiest on the list, “Small Town Murder” stands out in how in-depth each episode goes into the crime covered. Hosts James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman take care to give you a real feel for the context and quirks of each little town before taking you on the wild ride of the actual crime. It’s light enough that you’re not overwhelmed by sitting through 2+ hours of murder, but you’ll still look over your shoulder at the grocery store the next day. 

4. And That’s Why We Drink

Ghost stories, true crime, and lighthearted gal pal banter? Alexa, play “The Best of Both Worlds” by Hannah Montana. Em and Christine co-host, sharing laughs, spooks, and wine in weekly, hour-long episodes. This show is perfect to keep you company during your day-to-day while still sending some tingles down your spine. 

5. Unexplained

“Unexplained” is told like a story, mixing narrative, history, and speculation. The facts are revealed methodically and unrelentingly, in such a way that it doesn’t even have to try in order to be super unsettling. The listener just doesn’t get any breaks from the tragedy of the story being told. This podcast consistently scares the crap out of me. Bonus: narrator Richard Maclean Smith has a delightful British accent. 

While this list is not the definitive authority on true crime (there are literally dozens more I could throw on this list), these five feature the perfect Halloween blend of supernatural mystery and true crime. Have a listen and let us know which one is your favorite!

Anna Bertino

George Mason University '21

Anna is a Communication major at George Mason concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in English. She is a social media editor for the HC George Mason chapter. Anna is also the president of Mason's Equestrian Club and Show Team. When not writing or riding, she can be found drinking tea, satisfying her sweet tooth, or planning her next vacation.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com