This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As we continue to push through the semester, I’m sure almost all of us have had days that consist of laying in bed most of the day with zero motivation (which is perfectly fine!). Then, we face the struggle of what to watch on Netflix and usually take more time finding something to watch rather than actually indulging in a series. Over the past couple of months, I have found myself obsessed with shows on Netflix that always manage to boost my spirits. So, I decided to compile a list of five binge-worthy series and movies that are worth a watch (or rewatch)!

“Criminal Minds”

“Criminal Minds” is a classic American drama series that has been around since 2005. I first got into the show around my junior year of high school when one of my teachers showed us an episode. I instantly became hooked as the show is FILLED with suspense and always has you on the edge of your seat. Also, every episode is always something new that hasn’t been seen before in the show and is filled with twists and turns. 

Basically, FBI Agents from the Behavioral Analysis Bureau take on a new criminal case every week and seek out to find the unsub. 

If you’re interested in learning more about the show, you can check out the trailer here.

“Atypical”

Oh my, where do I even start with “Atypical”? Without any hesitation, this is my favorite Netflix series to date. “Atypical”, a comedy-drama series, first aired in 2017 and I’m still obsessed and always find myself rewatching. It’s one of those shows that manages to make you feel almost every emotion you can possibly feel in one episode. 

“Atypical” explores the life of a high school teen named Sam Gardner that is on the autism spectrum. Throughout the episodes, Sam essentially sets the goal for himself of getting a girlfriend and becoming more independent. 

Not to mention, there are two seasons with a third on the way!

To learn more, check out the trailer here.

“The Society”

“The Society” is one of my favorite shows I constantly rewatch- it’s spooky, filled with suspense and drama, but has unfortunately been canceled after only one season. Although production was canceled in 2020, I still find myself (and others) watching the show as it is so different from typical teenage-series plots. 

In “The Society”, a group of teenagers in high school get sent off to a field trip over an hour away. But, the weather prevented the busses from arriving at their destination, so everyone was taken back to the school at night. Once they return, the town is completely empty- no parents, children, or any sign of human interaction. The teens then must manage to survive and figure out the mystery. 

“After”

“After” is a romance-drama movie that always manages to get me into my feels. I first heard about this movie through Tik Tok (as I always do) and became intrigued as the concept for the movie originally came from a Wattpad fanfic. In the fanfic, a character named Tessa falls in love with Harry Styles. After hearing this, I immediately watched the movie and fell in love with the plot- it’s full of drama and practically a movie version of fanfictions we all grew up reading. 

Basically, the movie follows the life of a college student named Tessa that meets a mysterious man named Harden. From then on, it’s hard to explain a summary without giving spoilers. All I can say is that whenever I watch this movie, I always think of Harry Styles. 

Click this link for the trailer and more information without spoilers!

“Hush” 

Lastly, if you’re into thriller and horror movies, “Hush” may be the perfect watch for you. I can never fully make it through this movie without covering my eyes as there are so many jump scares and ~spooky~ moments. 

“Hush”, which originally aired in 2016, is about a deaf writer that lives in the woods alone. As she continues to write her book, a masked killer appears outside of her house and attempts to get to her inside. Personally, I enjoyed this movie so much as it has a different plot rather than typical thriller movies. 

Kaylee Jeffries

George Mason University '23

Kaylee is a sophomore at George Mason University where she studies communications, public relations, and journalism. She enjoys writing, editing, and managing social media to reach audiences through various platforms. In her down time, you'd find her at Dunkin' Donuts grabbing an iced coffee with friends and family, watching Parks and Rec, and writing content to express herself.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com