The ‘Midwest Princess’ Tour: How Chappell Roan is Creating Space for Queer Community

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

From hiring local drag queens as her opening act to encouraging thematic costumes for each show, Chappell Roan is giving young queer people a space to shine.

Young queer adults across the country currently have a dire need for community. With a decrease of queer-specific spaces nationwide, and a growing belief that these communities are unnecessary, many young adults are struggling to find shared spaces where they can feel safe, supported and connected with one another. 

At this crucial moment, Chappell Roan enters the scene. Her album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” features thematic discussions of life in her hometown, a space without queer community for her to fall back on. She describes the small town queer experience in catchy pop songs that are just plain fun. Her song “California” discusses her longing for her hometown despite all the reasons she has for leaving. This track contrasts “Pink Pony Club,” where she discusses her confidence in her choice to leave in spite of the difficult consequences that decision held. The complexities of the relationship that many queer individuals have with their hometown and their upbringings are contained within this album, providing a safe space for others with a similar experience. In this way, Roan helps young adults to feel less alone in their journeys, especially in their decisions moving forward. 

Beyond that, she strives to create a sense of community and a safe space at every stop on her album’s tour. Her shows double as costume parties with rotating themes for each city. This allows attendees to truly show their creative side and dress up in a way they most likely would not normally get to. Having a theme for each show also fosters a sense of community among those attending, as they can bond over this shared experience and appreciate the way others interpreted the theme. 

Related: Worshiping Camp With Chappell Roan and the ‘Midwest Princess’ Tour

At every show, she crowns a winner of her costume contest, almost as if the show were a beauty pageant. The winner is someone Roan notices from the crowd for their outfit and their participation on the dance floor at the show. This individual is then invited up to the stage to be crowned. This further encourages the participation of the community in the theme. This act also encourages community support at the show, as ultimately it’s just for fun and not that serious if you don’t win. It’s more important to encourage and support everyone who showed up and dressed up, and the community that she fosters at her shows makes that clear. 

Additionally, Roan ensures that she employs local drag queens as her opening act at every tour stop. This helps further the sense of queer community she is creating, as her support is clear to attendees. This encourages the local community as well, which is the essence of what young queer adults need. When attending a show, you may see your favorite local queen on the stage or you may be inspired to attend more local shows and get exposed to more local drag  artists. 

Chappell Roan has curated a unique and impressive environment across her tour and encouraged a sense of community in a way many might not have predicted. No matter who you are, Chappell Roan invites you to show up as unapologetically yourself and welcomes you into her community with open arms. 

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com