This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Alright, folks, I am just going to say it: I am tired of people forgetting about Thanksgiving! The calendar does not just jump right from Halloween to the December holidays (remember, not everyone celebrates Christmas), but some people act this way. 

Now, everyone does not celebrate Thanksgiving, and it gets tough for some around the holiday season — and we should be supporting such people during the holidays. However, for those who do partake in turkey, mashed potatoes and maybe even family drama, I expect for you to appreciate Thanksgiving. Here are five reasons why I do (and why you should): 

1. Food 

Need I say more? Food is fantastic. A typical Thanksgiving involves turkey, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie … I should stop — I am making myself too hungry to be this far away from Thanksgiving. 

2. Family 

Yes, family can be a pain during the holidays (and year-round, really), but I do not get to see my family all that much. As an out-of-state college student, I mostly get to see my family during breaks. Sure, we might have a few weekends together here or there, but I mostly go home when I have an extended period of time away from school. Thanksgiving is the first break where I get the chance to travel back home, which also means it has been a while since I have seen a number of my family members — like my adorable nephew and niece, for example! So, I look forward to spending some quality time with people who know me best. 

3. Sleeping in my own bed

In the same way that I only see my family and pets during breaks, this is how I feel about my bed. My bed is very comfortable and I enjoy being able to go to and relax in the place where I grew up. It does bring a sense of nostalgia for me, as sometimes I feel like an imposter in my own home — things really change when you are gone for so long — but I always enjoy throwing myself on that cool, cozy mattress. 

4. Giving thanks 

I should probably be reflective of this other than at Thanksgiving, but this holiday is helpful in reminding me of what I am thankful for. I think about what I am doing in my class, work and extracurriculars and realize how happy I am to be apart of such great things. Yes, it can be exhausting and yes, I do and will continue to complain, but I have a lot of great people and opportunities in my life. I am very grateful for this life I have. 

5. Friends

My friends are like my family — the family I chose, but my family nonetheless. Thanksgiving is just another way I can express how much they mean to me; I do not have to give them gifts or even say much, but the feeling we all mutually share from being around one another is something special. Friendsgiving is always a fun time, whether I am catching up with friends from back home or hanging around my usual crowd here.

Whatever you do for Thanksgiving, I hope you have a good, fulfilling time. If you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving for whatever reason, then that is completely understandable, but I know I get a lot out of this holiday, so I hope some stop forgetting about it and give it the recognition it deserves.

Laura Scudder

George Mason University '22

Laura Scudder is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. Originally from Chelsea, Michigan, Laura moved to Virginia to attend school at GMU to earn an education and connect with those in the DC metropolitan area. She works for George Mason's student newspaper, Fourth Estate, as a copy editor and is the president of George Mason's Society of Professional Journalists. She is beyond excited to be a writer and social media editor for Her Campus George Mason.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com