A Night on the Town: Glow GMU Launch Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Last Friday was the premier night for club-goers at Mason– the long awaited and highly anticipated Glow GMU Launch Party. After what seemed like a month long hiatus, the team of GMU promoters came out last week with a great deal for Mason students; for $25, students were guaranteed a ride to Ultrabar and back, a line cut pass, club admission, and open bar between 10:00PM-11:00PM. It was finally a chance to integrate George Mason University into the DC nightlife.

Pick up was scheduled to be at Shenandoah Circle at 9:00PM, so I showed up (fashionably) late around 9:45– just in time for the third and final coach bus. I’m usually one to complain about the lack of style around campus, but the girls and boys on this bus were dressed to the nines; I don’t say this often, but I was impressed. It was evident
through the camera flashes and loud music on the bus ride that everyone was ready and eager for a wild and memorable night to ensue. I stepped foot onto the cement of F Street to be greeted by a mass of people forming a disoriented line to the right of the entrance– I was guided to the left.

Within two minutes I was directed into the club by one of the bouncers, and took an immediate right onto the staircase. I found myself overlooking the main floor of Ultrabar– green lasers mirroring off of people, showing enough light for me to make out those faces that were familiar. Virtually everyone I recognized was consumed in their own personal adventure. Those friends with black bracelets, deeming them old enough to drink, surrounded the bar. Groups of friends formed giant masses in the middle of the dance floor, flailing and dancing around amongst each other. Some girls (including yours truly) ventured up onto one of the two podiums at some point to have a little fun and let loose above the crowd.

That was the general gist of the night– different floors played different music, but the general experience was universally the same. There were some issues regarding alcohol; there were several cases of underage drinkers being escorted out by bouncers, and a minor miscommunication which resulted in a delayed open bar. Fortunately, the problem was addressed and taken into consideration to avoid having a repeat during the next
Glow event, which is scheduled to be next month.

Take my advice: next time you want a hassle free night on the town, jump on a bus with the Glow GMU crew and go on a DC adventure.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.