Meet Dunni Oni and Zuri Hodnett, Candidates For Student Body President and Vice President at George Mason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
*This is not an endorsement from Her Campus George Mason University*

This week I had the opportunity to interview Dunni Oni and Zuri Hodnett, two students that are running for student body president and vice president at George Mason University. Dunni is a current junior majoring in English with a concentration in cultural studies. Zuri is also a junior. She is majoring in government and international politics with a double minor in Spanish and social justice and human rights. With this interview, I was able to ask them some questions about their campaign platform and, overall, why they decided to run for these positions. As a reminder to Mason students, voting begins on April 4th and ends on April 8th. Here is the interview: 

Lina (L): Why did you decide to run for student body president/vice president?

Dunni (D): As student body president, my goal is to cultivate a unified and inclusive community in which all students are served and represented. Coming into George Mason University I just knew I had to be a part of the student government association because I love to advocate for my peers. I have always had a passion for advocating for others and just being a voice for my peers. As a student leader involved in several different on-campus organizations, I have been able to be a part of conversations with the administration, which allowed me to realize that Mason needs some change. I believe Zuri and I are the best candidates to bring about this change. We are not afraid to speak our minds and inform people of things that are and are not working. As a student body president and vice president, you are the voice of the student population, and I believe Zuri and I are the voices that will better the Mason community.

Zuri (Z): Since being involved on the e-board of the NPHC and joining my sorority I was able to see firsthand some of the issues that student orgs have when planning events and overall issues with student life. Through the opportunities brought to me in these positions, such as meeting with President Washinton to speak on over-policing issues of Black orgs, I discovered there are quite a few issues that Mason has yet to scratch the surface of that I wanted to take part in solving.

(L): What brought you two together to run for these positions?

(D): Zuri and I have been fortunate enough to be a part of conversations with the administration where we have been addressing the issues of over-policing on campus. While being a part of these conversations, I noticed that Zuri and I both have the same passion when it comes to making the Mason community a comfortable place for everyone. We both noticed that there are things going on at Mason that need to be addressed, and we believe we can address them best together!

(Z): Dunni came to me with the idea after we began conversations with President Washington to discuss issues of policing on campus. We both share the same passion and drive to better Mason, as there is much potential to improve overall student life on campus.

(L): Are you currently involved in any clubs or organizations on campus? If so, what are they?

(D): 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Student Government

The Black, African-Heritage and Caribbean Coalition

Black Justice Association

CHSS Student Ambassador

(Z): 

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

VP of Programming, National Pan-Hellenic Council

(L): What is your campaign platform for student government? Are there any specific issues at Mason that you think, as student body candidates, are important to address?

(D): ​​The Oni Hodnett Campaign has different initiatives under each of the five categories, which include university life, university services, academics, diversity and inclusion, as well as government and community relations. Zuri and I are working to cultivate a unified and inclusive community in which all students are served and represented. I believe all the issues addressed in our platform are important because they are initiatives that are beneficial to the student body population. Although I love all the initiatives apart of our platform, one of my favorites are the mental health days. Being a student that has involvements both inside and outside of school, I think it is super important to have a mental break. I’m a firm believer that wealth is health, and this will ensure all students feel more at ease. 

(Z): Dunni and I are setting a goal to “cultivate a unified and inclusive community in which all students are served and represented.” One of the main issues we’re setting to resolve is the lack of transparency between students and mason departments. Another important issue to me is ensuring Mason is truly as diverse as we proclaim to be. We want to advocate for our professors to reflect a diverse population just as much as our students do. It is equally important to be surrounded by diverse peers as it is to be taught by a diverse group of professionals.

(L): What are some ideas you have for improving/continuing communication between SGA and the general student body you will be serving?

(D): The Student Government Association plays a very important role because they are the bridge between the student body and administration. SGA is the voice for the student body, so communication is key, especially considering we are elected by the student body. Some ideas we have to continue but to also enhance the communication between SGA and the general student body is by holding semesterly town halls and posting updates on our social media platform. In addition to that, Zuri and I would actually attend events that student organizations host to engage with them but also to communicate to them all that the student government is doing.

(Z): To reiterate, we are running on a idea of increasing transparency so this means an increase in communications between SGA and the student body on as much as were at liberty to share with the student body such as with important initiatives of the anti-racism task force. We want to ensure students are fully aware of what the task force is doing as well as actually being able to participate in its work. 

(L): If elected, what leadership skills do you think you bring to this position that will help promote the growth of Mason and the student body community at large?

(D): If elected, I would bring a plethora of diverse leadership skills to this position that will help promote the growth of the Mason community. Some leadership skills I possess are the ability to work with others, effectively communicate, being direct, as well as being empathic and empathetic when need be and etc. Through my various different types of involvements both on and off campus, I have first learned different ways to communicate, which is a very important skill as a leader. Effective communication as well as being transparent are some things that Zuri and I plan to implement to help promote the growth of the Mason community and the student body community at large. 

(Z): I find my perseverance to be one of the most important skills in my leadership. Working in such a position I know will be challenging at times and things will not automatically change, but with my perseverance and commitment to seeing change at Mason. I also think my critical listening skills will play a huge role in this position as many Mason students feel as though they are not being heard. As a leader, I listen to understand rather than just reply, so with this skill of mine, I plan to listen to the student body’s concerns and bring them to light to ensure Mason students are heard the way they want to be.

(L): As a university, George Mason champions itself as being an institution dedicated to diversity and inclusion. If elected, how would you maintain Mason’s commitment to those promises or even strengthen Mason’s commitment to these values?

(D): ​​Just as George Mason University prides itself on being a representation of diversity, Zuri and I are as well. Not only do our skin complexion speak to our diversity but also our involvements and the vision we have for Mason. If elected, we plan on maintaining as well as strengthening Mason’s commitment to diversity and inclusion by continuing to push the work of the Anti-Racism Inclusive Excellence Task Force as well as actively working with multicultural organizations on campus to ensure that their safety and concerns are met. As a person of color, I think it is extremely important for people of color to feel heard and safe in whatever space they are in. If elected, Zuri and I will ensure all the different communities and populations apart of the Mason community feel both heard and safe.

(Z): As two Black women running for these positions, we can draw on our experiences and perspectives for one to ensure Mason maintains a diverse and inclusive environment. We also have many initiatives in our platform to ensure Mason upholds to its diverse and inclusive proclamations. These initiatives range from ensuring multicultural organizations’ needs are heard and met through student organizing, and working with the many of Mason to ensure their services are advertised to the student body and their voices as well are heard.

(L): What do you think as a student leader you would bring to the table that hasn’t been seen yet at Mason?

(D): As a student leader I’ll be able to bring all my involvements together creating something that hasn’t been seen at Mason. Although Mason is a very diverse community we don’t always see that with the programs and events that are held. One of the initiatives a part of our platform is to host an event with all student organizations, different departments and local organizations to promote voter registration.  Not only would this event inform people about the upcoming election and voting in general, but it allows an opportunity for people all over to fellowship. The initiative I described is one of many things that I would be bringing to Mason as a student leader that hasn’t been done before. I don’t believe in half-work. You must either go big or go home, and that is the mentality that I will also bring as a student leader.

(Z): Perseverance. From experience, I know how frustrating and difficult it can be achieving the results you aim for, but I yearn to see the changes Dunni and I are advocating at Mason. My perseverance, I think, is what will separate me as a vice president candidate. As I’ve said before, Mason has so much potential and room to grow and I will try my very best to ensure that is what the Mason community sees.

(L): If you could state one quote that you think embodies your leadership style or skills what would it be?

(D):  “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.”—Lao Tzu

I would say this quote embodies my leadership style because my goal is to work for the Mason population. I don’t want to be the next student body president as a resume booster, but instead, as a way to genuinely improve the Mason community and be a voice for the student body. Zuri and I plan to do whatever it takes to accomplish the initiatives on our platform because we believe it will benefit the Mason population.

(Z): “When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” –   Audre Lorde

Many people may find me to be a quiet person, but when it comes to something I find passion in, I am far from that. I will advocate for whatever the issue may be. I think since being involved in Mason with conversations which impact the Black community on campus, I have found myself to become more open in speaking up for the community as I see the importance that concerns are met and that someone is there to speak up on behalf of the community to properly address the groups’ concerns in a strong and efficient way.

(L): How can students reach out to you with questions, comments, and concerns about your platform?

(D): The best way for people to reach out about anything is through our campaign Instagram! The campaign Instagram is @oni_hodnett. Through our campaign page, you can also learn more about us as individuals!

(Z): If anyone has any questions about our campaign or us as individual candidates, that will be the best place to reach us! Keep an eye out on the page to get to know us more!

Lina Tate

George Mason University '22

Lina is majoring in Government and International Politics with a concentration in Political Behavior & Identity Politics, with a minor in Social Justice and Human Rights. Around campus, you can often find her giving tours to prospective students. She has a knack for music and television. In her free time, she tries to catch-up on the neglected books on her bookshelf!