This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Did you ever hear the saying by, Rafiki, from the Lion King, “Yes, the past can hurt, but the way I see it, you either run from it, or learn from it.” Jeff Fusco, an ambitious and determined junior, from Lee, Massachusetts, lives by this quote everyday. He is a communication major, minoring in tourism and events management, as well as leadership studies. Jeff is extremely motivated and willing to take chances. His driven personality about his involvement on campus can be seen all around and makes one interested in learning more. Jeff can be serious at times, but loves to have fun, and wants to make a ‘name’ for himself at Mason! See why Mason is so fortunate to have Jeff Fusco!

HCGMU: What clubs or organizations are you involved in?
Jeff: I am in the fraternity, Phi Kappa Sigma, as well as being a New Member Educator for the fraternity. I am on the Interfraternity Council as Vice President for Public Relations, I work for Office of Student Involvement, as the Programming Assistant for Sorority and Fraternity Life, Office of Orientation and Family Programming Services, as a Patriot Leader, Office of Housing and Resident Life, as a Resident Advisor, and a Mason Ambassador.

HCGMU: As founder of the new program, Greek Ambassadors, what exactly does your job entail and how many people are involved?
Jeff: Greek Ambassadors came to me as idea for public image through Interfraternity Council work. I gradually got closer to members in other fraternities, which allowed me to branch out to others in other organizations. The experience was extremely helpful and overtime I formed a large bond with everyone. Greek Life can be looked at as competitive, however, I wanted to make a change and foster a Greek community, no matter what letter. It is a way to bring all four councils together and cultivate relationships that didn’t exist before. Promoting Greek Life on a positive note was very important and gave me the opportunity to take part in leadership training. Some Greeks are pressured to become a role model, therefore, I wanted to create representatives for the Greek community at GMU. I live with the burden that, whatever I do, my actions are reflecting not only sorority and fraternities, but also everyone as a whole. In total, there are five executive board members and twenty active board members.

HCGMU: Being a Patriot Leader can be very tiring, what did you have to do to prepare?
Jeff: Starting in May, I had summer training, which lasted about three and a half weeks. It was Monday through Friday from 8am until 8pm. I also had to take a one credit surface level class in the fall semester. Ongoing meetings, tears, exhaustion, and stress sums up what I had gone through. The first time I was a Patriot Leader, people didn’t bond at all. Each person had his or her own set of friends. The second time going through, there was a sense of togetherness and a much more positive outlook. I strongly considered whether or not I wanted to pursue a second year. It was a very difficult and growing experience, to say the least. In the back of my mind, I nervous I wasn’t going to get anything out of my second year, however, it helped me to become a more successful student leader and role model.

HCGMU: Do you feel your involvement on campus made a impact on certain groups of people or on a larger basis throughout the Mason community?
Jeff: I do what I do because I like doing it. Someone from orientation came up and said how helpful I was. I personally think it’s Mason impacting his college experience. I am trying to leave a legacy here, however, I have to be patient and give it time. Through my four years I want to make a difference, so when I want to send my child to college, I want to see a difference later on, through something I was a part of, knowing I left my mark.

HCGMU: What fraternity are you in? Do you serve on any leadership roles?
Jeff: The Fraternity is definitely one of the most defining organizations for me on campus. When I entered chapter, it was one of worst on campus. We were known as having no respect to rest of community, administrators knew us the problem group, and we never could do anything right. For those reasons, Phi Kappa Sigma inspired me to stay positive keep a good momentum to be able push forward through various hardships. There were no new spring members, and I saw success in other chapters, which them made me want the same. Seeing that, made me regret some decisions, but as I learned more about my fraternity, I am very proud of how much we have grown on a national level, as well as on campus.  We are one of largest on campus, we had biggest pledge class in the spring, we are one of strongest on campus, we are extremely active, placed 4th overall in greek week events, when we didn’t even compete 2 years ago, and placed in 2 or 3 and won in 2 or 3. This was the first time we even placed, since my freshman year, which made experience even more worthwhile. Suffering in my first few years, made me keep striving for more.

HCGMU: What advice do you have for incoming freshman?
Jeff: Failure isn’t a bad thing. Those nights where your so mad at the world and blame your problems on everyone else but your own, define you and how you can recover from them. Inspirational quotes definitely impacted me, while I was going through a rough time. Even now as a Resident Advisor, I post quotations on my bulletin board for everyone to see.

HCGMU: What do you plan to do after Mason?
Jeff: I definitely plan to go to graduate school at University of South Carolina, University of Connecticut, or Bowling Green State University. I know at least one person at each of these schools and all have fantastic programs. Networking is extremely important to me. I want to stay in DC Metro area after graduate school because of the vast number of opportunities. I want to get a Masters in higher education and student affairs. The people that I’ve worked with, professionals, and advisors impacted me to obtain this career. I want to show that there is more to being a student than just lectures. I want to show a different approach to the educational side, leadership skills, and create more experimental learning. I definitely want to be a holistic educator to college students, working hard and reaping the benefits. I want to particularly deal with college students, because this age group actually wants to be somewhere and I want to help them achieve so.

HCGMU: What do you like to do you in your spare time?
Jeff: I love Red Sox all the way! Watching their games are my favorite, as well as watching the playoff games. I enjoy George Mason University basketball games! A guilty pleasure of mine is watching TV series. I have watched every single episode of Survivor. The strategy behind it intrigues me! If I could get on I’d win in a heartbeat! I would enhance my interpersonal skills and would play a good social game. In the past I was social editor in high school of my school’s newspaper and was voted most likely to win reality show, most school spirited, most stress out , which I still am today.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.