Involved is just an Understatement: Donald Garrett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
This fun and driven student, Donald Garrett, from Richmond, Virginia is majoring in Government and International Politics and minoring in Tourism and Events Management. One day, he has aspirations of being a lobbyist in the D.C. area. Garrett is involved in various student organizations and provides something new and different to Mason’s community.

HCGMU: What activities are you involved with?
Donald: I am Senator in Student Government as well as Historian of the Student Senate, involved in Resident Student Association, and I’m in the Community Adjudication Board. I am also creating a new program, which is in the works. I am starting the Chapter of Collegiate Future Business Leaders of America. I was extremely involved with it in high school and liked competitive events. I figured it would be a great asset to Mason in the long run. In my spare time, I also work at Information Desk, which is a great job! I share information on all aspects of George Mason University including event information, handouts about the university, academic programs, and directions to and around all campuses.

HCGMU: Is there anything Mason students should know about you?
Donald: I have recently been working on a campaign in the area. I am working for Megan McLaughlin, who is running for school board. The Fairfax county budget is one of the largest of 10 states throughout the country. We are both really excited about this campaign and Megan will hopefully be a fabulous new edition. I also served as a 4-year state officer in the Technology Student Association.

HCGMU: What’s your favorite thing about Mason?
Donald: My favorite thing about Mason is its balance. Here, there is a little bit of everything and is not focused on one aspect as some schools are. Academics, athletics, and parties are all equally maintained. Mason definitely gives students the opportunity to branch out, network, and try anything you set your mind to.

HCGMU: What are some of your favorite quotes?
Donald: Two of my favorite quotes are:
Winston Churchill said, “The price of greatness is responsibility.”
Eleanor Roosevelt said, “Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

HCGMU: What are some fun facts about you?
Donald: I know Sign Language, Japanese, and Spanish

HCGMU: Have you helped planned any events?
Donald: Yes, I have. Recently I have helped plan “What Do YOU Want Wednesdays?” Student Government will be handing out free Spunk Buggy Cookies around campus on the first Wednesday of every month. Tell Student Government what we can do to better serve you? Be sure to be on the look out for that! Who doesn’t like free cookies?
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.