I Watched the Bachelor For the First Time and I Have Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I guess you could say I’m a Bachelor ~*virgin*~. Up until a few weeks ago, I had never seen a single episode of “The Bachelor.” Everyone I know that watches it is completely obsessed, hosting watch parties and live-tweeting the whole episode, so I thought “why not give it a shot?” when I saw that I could stream it from Hulu. Here are all of the thoughts and questions I had during the first episode.

1. Why are the entrances so extra?

I understand that you would want to make an entrance that Colton will remember after meeting 30 women. However, first impressions matter and will walking in with a sloth costume on or speaking in a fake accent really going to show him the real you?

Via Giphy

2. Why would you trust a complete STRANGER with your DOG?!?!?

My pets are like my children and I would never in a million years trust a stranger to take care of them, no matter how good they are at judging someone’s character.

Via Giphy

3. Why does everyone feel the need to bring up Colton’s virginity?

From what I understand, Colton made it known that he is a virgin when he was a contestant on the Bachelorette, therefore, all of the girls on the show are also aware of this. However, I don’t understand why so many people felt the need to bring it up during their introductions. I know that he made it publically known but it still feels like it is something that should be private.

4. Why is everyone so eager to get engaged to someone they just met?

I guess these women feel like they already know Colton after seeing him on television but in reality, they don’t know him at all. He is basically a stranger but they all seem to be in love with him already and want a ring more than anything

Via Giphy

5. Can we get some diversity, please?

A majority of the contestants are white, thin beauty queens. I would love to see a cast with more women of color, more women with fuller figures and/or women with disabilities. It is time to break the mold.

Via Giphy

6. Why did he let Catherine stay?

I have honestly never seen someone so rude in my life. Catherine kept stealing Colton away from other girls so she had more time to talk with him. With 30 women and only a few hours, you aren’t going to get much time with him. Stealing him away multiple times and acting like there’s nothing wrong with that is not acceptable. I was shocked when Colton gave her a rose.

Via Giphy

After watching the first episode I must admit I am curious to see how the rest of the season goes down and will likely continue to watch. Who do you think will get the final rose, collegiettes?

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com