This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s time to roll out your Mariah Carey mixtape and hang the stockings with care! It’s officially December and time for some holiday spirit. Some have been in the Christmas mood since Halloween. For others, December first is officially the time of year to get into the holiday spirit! What better way to immerse yourself in the season of giving and joy than to snuggle up, sip on some hot cocoa, and watch Christmas movies. To ensure the best possible holiday movie marathon, follow these few tips and tricks and maybe put some of these movies on your watch list! 

To begin, we will start with a few needed supplies before getting into the movie content. 

1. fuzzy socks

Festive fuzzy socks are a cheap, simple, and warm way to get into the Christmas spirit. If not already shoved in the back of your sock drawer, the dollar tree or target has some super cute pairs!

2. matching pjs

So this aspect is definitely not a necessity but how cute are matching PJs! Whether they’re with your family, significant other, pet, or just a set for yourself, a comfy cute PJ set will supply the comfort to get through all the holiday classics!

3. snacks & hot cocoa

The key to any good event… snacks! Grab your favorite snacks to pick on maybe some popcorn or chips, throw in a cookie or five and get to munching! A great pairing with any snack is a warm cup of cocoa on a cold winter day!

4. blankets & pillows

Last but not least, the final puzzle piece to comfort, blanket and pillows. Ensuring that your marathon area contains all the cozy and comfortable vibes needed is key to having the best movie marathon possible. Maybe even build a fort if you’re feeling spicy! 

Now that we have all the needed necessities, the ultimate holiday movie marathon list…

1. “the grinch”

What better way to start a marathon than with a light-hearted movie ending with Christmas joy! Not too heavy of a movie that makes you want to fall asleep, but one that gets you excited for the holidays and might even let you bust out a few TikTok moves.

2. “home alone”

“Home Alone” has always been in my rotation of Christmas movies. The excitement and humor presented in this movie never grow old and is a perfect way to include some excitement into the mix.

3. “scrooge”

Adding a little bit of remembrance into the marathon, the movie “Scrooge” allows viewers to remember to not be like the Scrooge but enjoy all the little things throughout Christmas time this year.

4. “frozen” …. the sing-a-long version

So, this one might catch some of you off guard, but what better way to accept the cold than to sing along to the Disney movie! Getting rid of any sleepiness the previous movies might’ve entailed.

5. “the polar express”

Capping off with a classic, “The Polar Express” always seems to tire me out hence it being last in our marathon. Watching the movie of self-discovery during Christmas Eve is the perfect end to our marathon. Winding down the marathon and giving more relaxed vibes. 

Overall, any movie can be seen in the light of Christmas. The overall messages of loving and caring reign free and the deeper messages can always be found. A movie marathon is the perfect way to steer clear of a Scrooge mindset and really start to feel Mariah Carey’s high notes! 

Happy Holidays to everyone and hopefully this marathon can help make it really feel like Christmas. 

Jackie Ailstock

George Mason University '23

Hey! my name is Jackie! I'm a junior studying Global Affairs at Mason! I love being outside and being active. Also always down for a spontaneous road trip!