This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Did anyone else see that tweet that went around and was something along the lines of, “as soon as I get an iPad it’s over for y’all”? That tweet is what made me finally purchase an iPad after years of wanting one. I can confirm the power of that tweet reigns true, as I feel I am the most organized and immersed in classes I have ever been. 

I have tried quite a few note-taking apps since getting my iPad and the best one by far has been GoodNotes. Here are some of the reasons you should consider using GoodNotes. You can thank me later.

1. Note-taking

This one seems pretty self-explanatory, but I have found that taking notes within the app rather than typing them out has been instrumental to me staying engaged during lectures. I feel like whenever I type notes, I get very easily distracted, or if I am writing them out on paper, I tend to fall behind. The ability to change to save multiple highlighter and pen sizes within the app keeps me on track. 

2. Planning

GoodNotes offers a planner within their templates that works well, and I used it for quite a while before opting for a more detailed template. I purchased one from the shop AmethystGarnet on Etsy. The seller was very nice and the planner is extremely detailed with planning pages that you can mold to your own goals and ideas.

3. Readings

A lot of my classes during my senior year have been heavy reading sections. When I have to sit down to read 20 to 30 pages, I have to be able to highlight and annotate. I have found it very helpful to highlight and annotate my readings in GoodNotes and then export them as a pdf to have printed for classes. Especially when readings are provided as photos of individual pages, I have found it very helpful to combine all of these photos into one document in GoodNotes.

4. Illustrations and tables

I have found GoodNotes is an excellent cut-and-dry resource for making charts and tables that are easily accessible. Especially if I am actively in a Zoom meeting for my internship where I have to take down data quickly, utilizing a separate device allows me to stay more engaged. 

5. Journaling

Journaling has been an activity that has always been difficult for me because of my perfectionist tendencies. If my writing on a page slightly skews down or I have to erase repeatedly, I am likely to stop altogether because of the way it looks. By using a device I already use for work and school to journal, I am more likely to actually write out how I am feeling as well. 

If you have an iPad or tablet and don’t use GoodNotes, download it! Having all of my notes and readings in one place is one less thing to worry about and helps me minimize stress and the likelihood of forgetting something. Happy studying, collegiettes!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!