This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When the cold season hits us, our body’s largest organ doesn’t always react so well. Winter can dry out our skin and leave us feeling itchy, flaky and dull. Here’s some tips to help your skin survive and get you singing “the cold doesn’t bother me anyway.”

1. Drink more water

Via Giphy

As creatures who are made up of 70% water, we use so much of this precious life source through our daily bodily functions and we need to continue to replenish and rehydrate ourselves throughout the day. If we drink water in excess, the hydration is spread out to every organ in our body- including the biggest one of all, our skin! Without proper hydration, our skin will start to appear dry, tight, flaky and be more prone to wrinkling. And nobody wants that honey!

2. Eat your fruits and veggies

Via Giphy

Sometimes, no matter how much expensive facial cream you slather on, nothing will do the trick. That means it’s time to switch up your diet!  In order to truly glow, healthy skin often works from the inside out.  Getting key nutrients like Vitamin C and beta carotene will be what helps turn your skin around. So stock up on produce full of healthy fats and antioxidants, because you are what you eat!

3. Stick to a solid skin care routine

Via Giphy

You don’t need the most expensive products on the market to achieve beautiful, glowing skin. But you do need to make sure to use quality products- consistently. The recommended product order for dry skin is cleanser, toner, serum and then moisturizer with SPF in the morning and a hydrating moisturizer before bed. Other great products to invest in are face oils and weekly face masks.

Related: A Short Guide to Korean Beauty

4. Take a probiotic

Via Giphy

Hundreds of species of different bacteria live in your gut, balancing you out and attempting to make you healthy. Studies have shown that this gut microbiome is connected to everything from stress levels, mood and healthy skin! In order to make sure your overall health is up to par, make sure you find a good probiotic that includes Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, two of the most well-studied strands in order to keep your gut health in check.

5. Keep your stress levels low

Via Giphy

Studies show that stress can exacerbate or cause many health problems and conditions, including acne and eczema. In order to lessen the chance of your worries worsening your skin, try to manage anxiety with meditation, journaling, exercising and avoiding things that you know will stress you out.

So collegiettes, good luck battling the skin sorrows of winter, but remember these tips and you’ll be ready for warmer days ahead!

Alexis Whitted

George Mason University '18

Alexis is a senior communication major at George Mason University currently interning at NBC News and a strong advocate for living a plant-based lifestyle. She can often be found in the gym working on her fitness or dreaming of her next getaway on Google Flights.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com