This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

While it may not come as a surprise that much has changed since the COVID-19 pandemic, one of the most prominent things we have seen change for the better is workplace attire. Although sitting in a Zoom meeting from home wearing a button-down and pajama pants sounds amazing, the truth is: it’s not. As workers have remained virtual over the past two years, it has been shown that working from home is not only getting old, but business casual has transformed.

Before 2019, workers could play it safe in their place of employment by wearing a pair of dress pants and a blouse. Reading that sentence now, I can understand why people my age dread shopping for clothes that fit the business casual category. While most workers and students have spent the last two years working from their rooms and talking to blank computer screens, a sense of individuality and freedom was stripped away each time they left a virtual meeting with limited verbal interaction. Interaction is important because it’s where people not only feel happy and are able to communicate with others who share similar interests, but it’s also a way for them to express how they feel, who they are and their passions. When you take that away and expect individuals to work from isolation, the first thing that gets ripped away is expression. 

Fortunately, one of the best ways to express yourself is through clothing. As virtual learning and working have begun to transform back to in-person and hybrid schedules, individuals have taken it upon themselves not only to jump right back in but to express themselves! In a formal workplace, it’s important for employees to dress a certain way; however, what can be shown especially through the younger generation is a more playful approach to clothing that remains professional but includes a hint of individuality and expression that has been longing to come out ever since the pandemic slowly stripped it away.

If we dare to go back into pre-pandemic times, we can find plenty of professional attire created on the same color palette or the continued use of frumpy, unflattering patterns for women’s blouses. Although these styles can still be found at certain stores online or the local mall, most stores now cater to the large demand for printed, playful and loud pieces that Gen Z wants to wear in the workplace. Dress pants, slacks and khakis have now been transformed into paperbag waist trousers, wide-leg pants and skirts. This transformation in workplace attire is not only monumental, but it’s also so necessary! We may not think of how much clothing can impact a person, but expanding that boundary between what’s considered work-appropriate and what is inclusive of your individuality makes all the difference in a person’s attitude towards their work.

When we look good, we feel good! We have heard that saying all of our lives, but it’s really important to carry that into your personal life by investing in quality and playful business casual pieces. This will not only keep you on-trend but will also create a more comforting atmosphere when it comes to expressing yourself in the work you do and how you feel when you do it. Business casual has evolved from a strict way of professional dressing to a virtual nightmare but has finally evolved into the beautiful form of expression that it should have always been utilized as.

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com