Guide to Going Out in Fairfax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Going out in Fairfax is like getting invited to the most exclusive frat party on campus. Well, almost. It sounds much more luxurious than it actually is. Something magical happens on your 21st birthday. Your old, untouched license becomes a VIP pass into a new, mysterious world filled with vodka, energy drinks and cheap beer. Some students complain about Mason’s lack of nightlife. When you’re a freshman, you have to know someone to get into a party (assuming you drink. Tisk, tisk!) And even with that backstage pass, there aren’t many bars nearby to explore. While I can understand where these thoughts are coming from, I disagree. Warning, I’m about to throw a huge cliche at you, but it’s true. You get what you give. Why not make something average into something fabulous? In Fairfax we have bars, we have beer and we have people to share these things with. Now, that doesn’t sound so bad after all, does it?

Buffalo Wing University a.k.a Bdubs
This is where I got the whole “frat party” analogy. On Thursday nights, you can enjoy $1 beers and $2.50 bombs–two things frat boys and anyone seen at their
parties would love. Since there aren’t many places to go on Thursdays, it’s a great meeting place for seeing friends you don’t often hang out with, or reconnecting with students you never
really knew in the first place. This inevitable Thursday night power hour lasts from 4:00-9:00pm, so it’s always a good idea to stop by early. No one wants to wait outside for beers that are only really worth one dollar.

The Auld Shebeen aka Aulds
Welcome to the heart of Ireland, located in Old Fairfax. By the time you get to Aulds,you probably won’t feel like you’re at an Irish pub, but that’s what it claims to be. At night, the restaurant uses two entrances–one for the pub upstairs and the other for the downstairs dance hall. The Thursday night trend is to walk to Aulds after $1 beers, so you can imagine the atmosphere of already-drunk college kids unwilling to end their night so early. While it can be sweaty, you’ll be sure to dance the night away. The lower-level entrance promises blaring music, more booze and a good time.

ICONS Sports Lounge & Grille aka Icons
If you’re looking to dance, you’ve found your match. While Icons doesn’t have dollar beers or require an Irish jig, it’s a great place to let loose all weekend long. Here, you won’t be mingling with 100 lacrosse players or desperately searching for a face you haven’t seen before. Icons is less of a spot exclusively for Mason students, and more of a place for different people coming together to bump and grind. The best part about Icons is it’s size. Their black-lit, mockingly-swanky lounge is designed to be a sprawling space rather than a super packed club. Be sure to grab yourself a spot on one of the many white, leather sofa sets before they’re all gone. No one likes a drink on the dance floor…dancing, spilling and slipping are a dangerous combination.

La Tolteca aka the best margarita in town
Mexican food tastes good any day of the week…but margaritas taste better. La Tolteca has the most tasty and “effective” margaritas in the area. It’s a lively and vibrant place to go for birthdays or Girls Night Out. Their best attribute is the fact that it is an actual restaurant, included with lack of age restriction. Of course alcohol isn’t served without a valid ID, but the restaurant allows people of all ages at all hours of the day to sit back, relax and enjoy a heaping tray of chips and salsa. I recommend this to newly-21-year-olds who are desperate to go out while still spending time with friends who are under age. Not to mention a good $7 margarita is hard to find, and trust me, you won’t need to order many…

There is a reason people have nicknamed Fairfax Funfax, even if they are half-mocking it. There are plenty of places for twenty-somethings to go on the weekends. With all of these bars right in the neighborhood, there’s no reason to trek out to DC for a beer after a grueling day of class. In addition to the aforementioned, there are
dozens of other places to explore. Fat Tuesday’s, Hard Times and the Firehouse Grill are other options for students on the prowl. The worst feeling in the world is having regrets. So please, make Fairfax what you will and go have a good time! I am confident that all of these places will satisfy your needs, because they’ve satisfied mine! Remember to always close your tab and don’t forget your card. Many bars charge a percentage of your bill for leaving your tab open, and we all know you
never want to be without plastic.

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.