George Mason University’s Queer Film Festival, curated by Roberto Ferreira De Araujo, showcased LGBTQ+ stories of hope.

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The “Here and Queer Film Festival” took place on November 14th, 2023 at George Mason University for the second year.

On November 14th, 2023, George Mason University hosted the second Here and Queer Film Festival. The festival is curated by Film at Mason student Roberto Ferreira De Araujo. 

The festival celebrates LGBTQ+ filmmakers and stories, accepting narrative, documentary, experimental or animated short films from around the world. The final lineup included eight American films, one film from the United Kingdom, one film from Argentina, and one film from Canada. Several were created by Film at Mason students.

Ferreira De Araujo was inspired to create the festival after receiving his final project instructions for a Film at Mason curating class last fall. 

“The assignment was to create a program that could be presented to the public, either online or in person. Having recently completed an internship with the Smithsonian National Museum of Asian Art that summer, where I was involved in programming films, I was eager to continue in that direction,” Ferreira De Araujo tells Her Campus. 

“During the class, two other classmates were also considering organizing a film festival. We decided to combine our projects, and that’s how the idea for a queer film festival was born.”

After receiving positive feedback and interest in an iteration of the festival, Ferreira De Araujo started work on this year’s programming.

Representation in media is extremely important, and LGBTQ+ representation is no different. Short films that showcase queer identities are important for people to know they’re not alone and that their stories matter.  

Ferreira De Araujo agrees, saying “emphasizing the importance of representation, our goal is always to celebrate diversity. We aimed to showcase the full spectrum of experiences represented by the LGBTQ+ community.” 

The films shown this year discussed themes of solidarity, support, dating, identity, homophobia, and family.

Related: Make Them Gay: Why Queer Representation Matters 

This year, Ferreira De Araujo wanted to include stories that all had an element of hope in them as well. Although being queer is difficult for many people, especially in less inclusive areas of the world, there is always hope. He says, “This year, I specifically sought films that addressed challenging subjects while conveying a message of hope.” 

“Considering our screening occurred just before Thanksgiving, I envisioned people attending our event and then returning home to potentially less queer-friendly family environments. With this in mind, I wanted to send them home with the assurance that, no matter what, they would always have a community out there that celebrates and supports them.”

Related: The Importance Of Chosen Family During Thanksgiving, As Told By 6 LGBTQ+ Gen Zers 

This idea is a big part of the short film Baba. Baba (dir. Sam Arbor and Adam Ali), a 2021 film from the United Kingdom, won the Audience Award for Best Film. The 18 minute short film tells the story of Britannia, a gay Libyan teen’s decision to either stay in his hometown with those he cares about or flee to England to live authentically. 

When asked about what the festival meant to him, Roberto Ferreira De Araujo says “The festival is meaningful to me because it serves as an essential platform for queer artists. It goes beyond merely showcasing their work; it becomes a space where these artists can share the intricate narratives of their experiences with our audience. 

In addition to its significance in fostering representation, the festival also aligns with my passion for curating and programming for the screen. These films not only provide entertainment but also contribute to meaningful conversations surrounding queer experiences, making the festival an integral and fulfilling part of both my professional and personal journey.”

I had the pleasure of attending the festival both this year and last year and I really enjoyed it and the selection of films. I highly recommend checking out the rest of Film at Mason’s events for the rest of the 2023-2024 school year! 

Katarina Benson

George Mason University '25

Katarina Benson is the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at George Mason chapter. She oversees all articles published at George Mason University. They are currently a junior majoring in English with a dual cultural studies and film studies concentration. Beyond Her Campus, Kat works as the public relations student coordinator and as an editorial assistant at George Mason. In her free time, Kat enjoys playing tennis, reading, and trying new cafes. She's a big fan of 90s shows and movies and loves to travel. They also post about books and reading at @strawberryblondefolklore on instagram.