Freshman Chronicles: Looking Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Sitting between bags and boxes on my way to Mason, I feel like there probably isn’t another sophomore more excited about moving in – escaping my summer boredom and beginning the new semester.  I flashback to last year on this same day and realize I was a complete mess on my way to freshmen move in.  I couldn’t stop crying because I had to leave my then boyfriend.  At the time, I didn’t realize how a long-distance relationship could affect my entire first semester, in the worst way.

Freshmen year is such a huge transition, and it’s hard to find your way and place first semester.  Everyone is looking for their new best friends, and it’s easy to meet people you like.  Even though I did meet a lot of new friends, I set myself back by never going out with them on weekends because I thought my boyfriend would be upset and by not making a real effort to ever ask them to go to dinner or shopping.  I was too focused on what I thought was making me happy.  A key to surviving freshmen year is to find out what people and activities truly make you happy.  In the process, you learn more about yourself.  This whole experience taught me that escaping from your comfort zone will get you much further in life.

You will be more willing to give others a chance, while allowing them to see the true you.  
I wish I would have realized sooner that my life back home was slowly deteriorating, and besides my family, there really wasn’t much there for me anymore.  In the end, I would learn that focusing on the present and future is what gets freshmen past those nervous points of sadness and possible regret of choosing that college.  It seems scary at first, but you only have four years to make the most of your college experience.  Many college students have said that once they get through first semester of freshmen year, second semester is when they feel at home and finally begin to fall into step with their new friends, classes, and home.
During winter break, I broke up with my boyfriend because I realized I wasn’t excited to go back to school for second semester like all my friends.  It hurt, but I knew it was what was completely best for me.  It turned out that second semester; I met some of my best friends and had so many amazing experiences.  I made an effort to try to get to know everyone better, and I even ended up doing better in school.  When summer quickly arrived, I was upset I had to go back home because I knew that my life was finally starting to evolve at Mason.  

Avalon Swindell Jones

George Mason University

Avalon is a senior at George Mason University, majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and minoring in both business and electronic journalism.  She has been writing for Her Campus since fall 2011, allowing her to discover her passion for writing.  Her favorite topics to write about are relationships, embarrassing moments, and nights out.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.