Freshman Chronicles: The Fraternity Boy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Walking into a fraternity party as a sophomore is almost surreal.  It seems as though every freshman to ever exist is there making the house which is small enough as it is, even smaller.  Being only a year older, my friends and I seem to be on a whole new level of maturity.  This proves that during freshmen year, you learn some survival skills.  These skills are often put to use during the rest of your freshmen year and throughout your entire college experience.

Freshmen girls have a lot to worry about as it is.  Any problem from fashion, classes to friends can become a crisis in no time.  But what does every freshman girl find herself constantly having some kind of issue with?  Guys.  And usually it’s not just any guy, but a fraternity guy.  A big thing freshmen girls need to learn is how to fend off these fraternity boys.  Most likely, if you are a freshman girl, you’ll find yourself at a few fraternity parties with more than enough boys.  A lot of them are nice and make a real effort to make sure you are comfortable in the situation; these same boys know when to back off and give you your space.  At the same time, there will always be a handful of these fraternity guys who have a very hard time taking a hint.      

One of the first fraternity parties I attended second semester was one only about five minutes away.  My roommate and I knew that if worse came to worst, we could easily escape.  Unfortunately, one of the guys thought us leaving was an invitation to escape with us, which it was far from.  When my friends and I got into the car headed back to campus, the guy got in with us.  We just assumed he was getting dropped off somewhere else, but when he got out of the car where we did, there was immediate concern.  To be honest, we were all a little more than freaked out.

We wanted to tell him to go away, but we knew that would just be awkward and even a little mean if he didn’t have any bad intentions.  The situation we found ourselves in taught us some precautions to take if we were ever in it again.  My friend pretended she had lost her key so that we could not go back to her dorm, which is where we were going originally.  We decided to go to Ike’s because I knew we would be surrounded by people there.  We even tried to take a twenty minute bathroom break, but nothing we did could make this guy leave us alone.  Finally, my roommate pretended she was sick.  Her acting skills were bad but comical, and at least he finally took the hint.  In the end, the whole night made for a good story, but we were lucky it didn’t take a bad turn ending with us in danger.

That night was a lot for a few freshmen girls to deal with, but it was a lesson well-learned.  In college, your judge of character will definitely begin to improve.  You’ll learn to trust your instincts when you feel as though someone isn’t sitting well with you.  You’ll also learn when it’s the right time for your sweet girl self to step back so that your aggressive, semi-harsh self can handle a difficult situation.  Freshmen girls are often targets because they can be easily taken advantage of.  Therefore, play it smart and make a point to figure out guy’s intentions before it’s too late.  If you trust yourself first, freshmen year becomes a whole lot easier.

Avalon Swindell Jones

George Mason University

Avalon is a senior at George Mason University, majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and minoring in both business and electronic journalism.  She has been writing for Her Campus since fall 2011, allowing her to discover her passion for writing.  Her favorite topics to write about are relationships, embarrassing moments, and nights out.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.