This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s no secret that since spring break ended all we’ve ever wanted was to get another chance to escape the walls of a classroom and breathe in the fresh air of a new scenery somewhere far away from home. Unfortunately, unprecedented times have dawned upon us and the walls of a classroom we once wished to escape, now turn into walls of our bedrooms that we simply cannot abandon. Now that teleworking, online classes and cozy pajamas have become the new normal, it is evident that we were totally unprepared for this change of pace. From once complaining about the traffic on Braddock Road to complaining about unfair class expectations and the inability to leave home, it is completely understandable that anyone of us would want another escape. 

Because our plans of escape and our thirst for travel must be temporarily laid to rest, I figured that since all we now do in our free time is sit with a partner, a family member, or dial-up a friend to watch a show together, the best thing I can provide you is a list of movies that quench your thirst for travel. It won’t quench your thirst entirely, but at least you can begin looking forward to the destinations you’re inclined to visit once everything has gotten better. In the meantime, grab a buddy, keep them 6 feet away from you, turn on the tv and watch something worthwhile. 

Related Article: 15 Tips on How To Travel The World 

1. “Eat Pray Love” (2010)

This iconic film has probably driven thousands of people to a “finding myself” travel frenzy. However, don’t be deceived by Liz Gilbert’s (Julia Roberts) painful divorce! Because of this, she was inclined to discover the world, the food and learn more about herself through the process. There’s never a better pair than food and travel so if you’re in for both, you should definitely put this on your list.

2. “The Beach” (2000)

Now, I know this film screams classic oldie, but it’s that aspect that makes it a classic journey inducing film because as literal as the title sounds, it really is about a beach. In this story, however, we’re not dealing with sharks or pirates. We’re drawn into discovering something deeper than what meets the eye. If you want some thrill and mystery mixed in your travels to Asia, I’d recommend this. Who knows, this might even tempt you to book a flight to Thailand.

3. “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” (2011)

This awe-inspiring film about British retirees traveling to an exotic hotel in India tells a story of a family across borders and reclaiming oneself at an old age. It encompasses a lot of emotions and mixes it into this dramedy boasting of beautiful imagery and travel inducing feels. Put this on and you will definitely have a smile on your face.

4. “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” (2013)

Another escapist and daydreamy film that has “finding oneself” and “achieving something greater” written all over it. This film is about a man (Ben Stiller) who, when threatened with losing his job, begins to embark on a crazy journey in hopes of achieving something better for himself. It boasts of its dreamlike imagery, pulling you into the adventure itself.

5. “Mr. Bean’s Holiday” (2007)

I know what you’re thinking, “what the hell is Mr. Bean doing in this list?” Well, in my opinion, this movie is so comedic and so adventurous that I just had to include it in a list that boasts of its travels. Moving all around Europe, like an extended episode of Mr. Bean, his comedy, interactions and basically himself at this point, plays a huge role in his adventures. Not only does this film boast about the comedic factors, but it also showcases beautiful imagery of the European scenery. Are you looking for a trip to Europe now?

Related Article: Movie Recommendation: Female Director Edition

6. “Lost in Translation” (2003)

Now, this film is what I call a jackpot. Revolving around the life of a faded movie star and a neglected girl who cross paths in the beaming city of Tokyo, their struggles and losses have bound them together for nights of adventure and discovery, learning more and more about oneself. The movie does a great job of capturing the Tokyo nightlife and I think you’re going to want to get on that next flight to Tokyo, at least after the pandemic.

7. “Mamma Mia!” (2008)

THIS all-time classic is a must-see for anyone who loves musicals, fancies romance films and dreams of visiting Greece! A story about a bride-to-be and her journey to finding her true father, this film just entices you to not only visit Greece but even move to Greece, get a remote island, find a handsome man and build your own fantasy.

8. “The Sound of Music” (1965)

A film about the value of family, friends and music, this story boasts not only of its endearing narrative and its songs that get stuck in your head but also the scenery that the Bavarian Alps beckon you to visit. In fact, now that the film has become a cult classic, a Sound of Music tour was opened in Salzburg to give you a glimpse of what the Von Trapp family home looked like.

9. “Wild” (2014)

One of the newer films in this list, “Wild” stars Reese Witherspoon, a woman who challenges herself to a one thousand one hundred mile solo hike to overcome the struggles of her past. A film on the more adventurous side, this highlights a backpackers dreams and nightmares as it showcases the scenery of the Pacific Crest Trail.

10. “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (2014)

Last but not least, the iconic film that put famous director Wes Anderson in the books, “The Grand Budapest Hotel” tells the story about a lobby boy’s life at the high-class hotel before its aging years. Everything about this film screams beauty, imagery and pure bliss. Although the hotel itself doesn’t exist, locations of the hotel were still based off of a museum in Germany called the Zwinger Museum. So, if you happen to be in Germany for your “Sound of Music” tour, plan to stop by this museum to get a feel of what the grand Budapest hotel was like.

Dominique Bernardino

George Mason University '21

Originally from the Philippines, Dominique "Niki" Bernardino is a rising junior pursuing a double degree in Public Relations and Film at George Mason University. When she isn't managing her social media internship or working as a multimedia editor, she enjoys watching sappy rom-coms, listening to k-pop, and exploring the internet.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com