Fabulous and Already Famous: Calvin Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
If you are Facebook friends with Calvin, you know him as Calvin “Gonnabefamous” Smith.  If you’re lucky enough to be friends with Calvin besides the Facebook relationship, you know him as being energetic, friendly, and most importantly, real. Calvin Smith is a junior, majoring in film and video studies and minoring in theater. He preserves George Mason University’s deliciously diverse reputation with his creativity, uniqueness and attitude.  

HCGMU: What student activities are you involved in?

Calvin: I go to LGBTQ (Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans-gender, queer) Stand Out meetings every Tuesday so I can stay connected with other people in the LGBTQ community.

HCGMU: Where can you be found on a typical weekend?

Calvin:  It’s never the same routine with me on the weekends.  I’m here, I’m there, I’m everywhere.  I go with the flow.  I’m pretty easy to plan with because I’m always down for fun.  Even if someone wants to study…well not really. I have pulled all-nighters, really, just not on the weekends.  I do it all.

HCGMU: What has been your proudest moment at Mason?

Calvin:  When I performed in the homecoming lip-sync contest my freshmen year.  I was having serious doubts about getting on stage.  I kept thinking, “What if they don’t like me?” or “What if I get booed off stage?”  I had a group of friends there with me and they convinced me to perform.  I danced to “Crazy in Love” by Beyoncé–everyone went crazy!  The energy of the crowd was unbelievable.  I won second place, which was perfectly ok with me because I had the time of my life.  That’s when everything just started expanding and I started to get into the college experience.

HCGMU: How are you so confident?

Calvin:  Honestly my friends influence me a lot, and vise versa.  We are like a family. When one of us is messing up, we are not afraid to say “Get it together.”   We don’t do it to cause problems, but to support each other.  My friends and family keep me grounded, and that’s where my confidence comes from.  My friends tell me what I need to hear because they want me to grow.  From there my confidence builds.  Its not arrogance, but confidence.

HCGMU: How was being involved in Greek Sing?

Calvin:  I love my AOIIs!  It was nice that they invited me to be a part of their performance.  They were so welcoming to me.  They listened to my suggestions and made me a part of their performance.  I loved working with them. I was also a judge for their fundraiser, “Alpha Idol.”  While judging the contestants, I looked for what I like to have in my own performance. Over-all performance quality, vocal range, etc.  If it was a group, I looked for how well they worked together.

HCGMU: What is your dream for after college?

Calvin:  My dream plan is to intern for a movie company and get a feel for the process of creating a full-length movie.  I want to understand how a movie that films for a year is condensed into a 2-hour film.  From there I would branch out form being an intern and direct my own film.  I would make it a big budget film, explosions and everything.  I want to make movies that people enjoy.  Movies today tell the same story over and over again.  I know I can bring something different to the table.  My creativity is endless.

HCGMU: What is your advice to the class of 2015?

Calvin:  Make the most out of your college experience, whatever that looks like for you.Don’t follow anyone else’s path–get out there, do things, and live it up.  You only get to have this moment once in your life, trust me, the next 4 years will fly by.  I’m already a junior.  I did everything I wanted to do, but when graduation day comes, I’m not going to be ready.  Always be you.  When you are yourself, you’ll be ready for anything that comes your way.  

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.