This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As we approach a full year of quarantine living this March, many of us will be coming out of this pandemic-tainted time with new hobbies, skills, and binge-worthy television shows to talk about. If you’re anything like me, I’ve delved into fiction even more readily during this uncertain time and have greatly enjoyed watching new shows with family and friends. Although 2020 was no cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination, one of its few bright spots was the amount of incredible television we got out of last year.

Looking back, I thoroughly enjoyed every show that I dedicated a binge-watch to in quarantine. However, I have put it upon myself to rank everything I watched during these past twelve months purely for your reading pleasure.

Do our opinions align? You’ll have to keep reading to find out!

11. “Emily in Paris” (2020-)

The creators of “Sex and the City” return to the small screen with the nonsensical but effortlessly entertaining “Emily in Paris.” The series follows Emily Cooper (Lily Collins), an American hired by a Parisian marketing firm to provide an outsider’s perspective on their social media strategy. In immediate culture shock, Emily must navigate French culture, a foreign language, and her new acquaintances, or risk being sent packing by her no-nonsense boss, Sylvie (Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu). With present travel restrictions, the picturesque “Emily in Paris” came at the perfect time. The lavish scenery and delectable drama outweigh the plot’s more absurd moments and make for a delightful viewing experience overall.

10. “Outer Banks” (2020-)

One of the most surprising breakout shows of 2020, “Outer Banks” follows teenaged John B (Chase Stokes). After his father’s mysterious disappearance, John B enlists the help of his three best friends, and fellow beach bums, to find the treasure his father was searching for before he disappeared. Much like “Emily in Paris,” much of “Outer Banks’” appeal is in its immersive and wanderlust-inspiring setting. Although it suffers from a shaky start, the series builds into a captivating adventure with plenty of summer fun along the way.

9. “Schitt’s Creek” (2015-2020)

What better way to cope with the quarantine blues than with a heartwarming sitcom? “Schitt’s Creek” follows the once-wealthy Rose family. Finding themselves unexpectedly broke, the Rose’s are forced to leave their lavish lifestyle to reside in the small town of Schitt’s Creek. Full of both hilarity and heart, “Schitt’s Creek” will instantly charm you with its memorable characters, tenderness, and myriad of quotable lines.

8. “The Queen’s Gambit” (2020)

Another surprising breakout show of 2020, “The Queen’s Gambit” centers around Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy), a young chess prodigy making her way up the competitive circuit while battling addiction. Led by a standout performance by Taylor-Joy, “The Queen’s Gambit” manages to turn the noiseless and cerebral game into a fascinating viewing experience.

7. “Free Rein” (2017-2019)

Set in the stunning British countryside, “Free Rein” follows American teenager Zoe (Jaylen Barron) during her summer in the British Isles. After befriending a wild horse, Zoe happens upon Bright Fields stable, where she becomes acquainted with the local riding team and eventually becomes an equestrian herself. Truly an underrated gem of the Netflix catalog, “Free Rein” provides the perfect amount of escapism with wholesome and lighthearted storytelling.

6. “Bridgerton” (2020-)

A captivating combination of “Gossip Girl” and “Pride and Prejudice,” “Bridgerton” centers around the 1813 social season of Regency-era London. When the eldest Bridgerton daughter, Daphne (Phoebe Dynevor), is named the “Diamond of the Season,” she soon finds herself under the critical gaze of Lady Whistledown, an anonymous writer reporting the happenings of the social season. Determined to avoid the advancements of a disagreeable suitor and assuage Lady Whistledown’s criticisms, Daphne feigns a courtship with the notorious Duke of Hastings (Regé-Jean Page). However, as the pair grows closer, the line between truth and performance becomes irrevocably blurred. With stunning costuming, palpable romance, and enthralling storytelling, “Bridgerton” is a stunning spectacle of a period drama that is not to be missed.

5. “Normal People” (2020)

Based on the best-selling novel by Sally Rooney, “Normal People” follows Marianne (Daisy Edgar-Jones) and Connell (Paul Mescal), two young people from the same Irish town with greatly differing backgrounds. Spanning years of their young adulthood, “Normal People” chronicles the peaks and pitfalls of their romantic relationship. Emotional, raw, and heartachingly romantic, “Normal People” exceeds its source material in twelve, truly unforgettable episodes.

4. “Parks and Recreation” (2009-2015)

One of the most loved sitcoms of the modern era, “Parks and Recreation” chronicles the misadventures of Pawnee, Indiana’s public officials as they seek to better their city. Equipped with a powerhouse cast, an exceptionally funny script, and indisputable heart, “Parks and Recreation” manages to keep audiences laughing nearly six years after its conclusion.

3. “The Crown” (2016-)

Part lavish period drama and part expansive biopic, “The Crown” follows the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her sudden coronation in 1953 to the present day. Although the Netflix original has been captivating audiences for nearly five years, its most recent fourth season is arguably one of its best. Set in the 1980s, the fourth season effortlessly takes on the herculean task of translating one of the Royal Family’s most explosive chapters to screen while still maintaining its signature flair and expert storytelling.

Related: “The Crown” Season 4 Review 

2. “Outlander” (2014-)

While on a second honeymoon with her husband in Scotland, former World War II combat nurse Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) stumbles upon the ancient stone circle of Craigh na Dun, which transports her back in time to 1743. Lost in a brutal past, Claire is soon acquainted with the Highland warrior, Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan), who her very livelihood may depend on. A sweeping story of romance, hardship, and even a little magic, “Outlander” cements itself as an absolute must-watch.

1. “WandaVision” (2021)

“WandaVision” has kicked off Phase Four of the MCU on an incredibly strong note. Centering around Avengers Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany), the Disney+ mini-series picks up after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.” Without explanation, audiences find Wanda and Vision residing in a pseudo-suburban reality reminiscent of classic American sitcoms. However, as their married life continues with alarming perfection, the pair begin to wonder if something more sinister is at play. An intoxicating, ever-unraveling mystery, “WandaVision” has been keeping audiences on tenterhooks in between week-by-week releases. Arguably the MCU’s boldest project to date, “WandaVision” astounds with incredible lead performances, crafty storytelling, and signature Marvel magic.

Related: Marvel Ventures Into Phase Four With Wonderfully Weird “WandaVision”

Well, there you have it, collegiettes! Have you seen all the shows on my ranking? If not, there’s no time like a global pandemic to stay home and catch up on your television!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com