Current Events Update: Newtown Massacre Sparks Gun Control Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

After last week’s horrific massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, killing 20 children and 6 adults, controversial questions once again erupt across the nation: Where does this country stand on gun control and what’s the government doing to prevent gun violence?

Monday marked the first of many funeral processions held by teary-eyed parents. The grief-stricken town of Newtown has been shaken and traumatized as it struggles to find a way to bring the town back to “normal.” But can it truly ever be the same?

The public is bombarding government officials with demands to do more to prevent gun violence. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, stands alongside the public in demanding that Congress take immediate action toward putting an end to gun violence. The second-deadliest shooting case in US history has proved that such a disaster could’ve been prevented had the government implemented gun control laws in the first place. But with a major fiscal cliff yet to be determined and a federal government that is segregated by political parties, many fear this issue is one that will take long before its outcome is determined.

Most recently stemming from the Columbine shooting in’99, it seems mass shootings in public places seems to have become a new threat to society – one which has not yet been addressed and continues to raise doubts and concerns among citizens. Gun control in the US has always been a debate that has had the public concerned for years. We can only hope that something will be done, either politically or socially, to prevent another massive killing like we’ve seen in the past few years.

To help those affect by the Sandy Hook Massacre, go to:

My Sandy Hook Family Fund – https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/10076

The Newtown Rotary Sandy Hook School Fund – https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com