A Review of Priscilla Block’s ‘Welcome to the Block Party’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Priscilla Block is one of country music’s rising stars. Her career really started to blow up last year on TikTok. She posted clips of silly songs on her account as well as songs that would eventually turn into radio singles. Over the past year, she’s released three songs for radio, which are “Just About Over You,” “Wish You Were the Whiskey” and “Peaked in High School.” 
I fell in love with all three of these songs right away, so I couldn’t wait to listen to an entire album of hers. Because of the imagery in her lyrics and her flirty songwriting style, I was super excited to give her debut album “Welcome to the Block Party” a shot.

👯‍♀️ Related: A REVIEW OF LUKE COMBS’ ‘WHAT YOU SEE AIN’T ALWAYS WHAT YOU GET’

After listening to the album, I’d say that I enjoyed it. It’s not my favorite album ever by any means, but it certainly has its moments. Firstly, most of the songs off this album just exude self-confidence. That’s one of my favorite things about Priscilla Block’s music and her overall image. From her lyrics, you can tell that she knows who she is and she’s proud of it. When I listen to her music, it makes me feel better about myself too. Secondly, I love her voice in these songs. It’s powerful, strong, and energetic. Thirdly, she’s got some really fun lyrics in her songs on this album. Block is a featured writer on almost every track, so you can tell that she really had a hand in telling her vision for this record. She has a sassy way of getting her point across to the listener, specifically seen in songs like “Peaked in High School.” At the same time, there are a lot of lyrics that make you feel something. Plus, this girl knows how to write a great rhyme scheme, and I absolutely love that. For me, some of the standout songs on this album — excluding the singles — are “I Know A Girl” and “Thick Thighs.” If you ask me, “Thick Thighs” should be our next body positivity anthem because this song is fantastic. 

Like I said, this isn’t the greatest album ever made, so I do have a couple complaints. While there are some songs on “Welcome to the Block Party” that I really like, a lot of the other songs blend together because they’re kind of generic. Thematically, they all talk about similar topics, which makes it hard to distinguish a lot of them from the others. With songs like “My Bar,” there isn’t really anything new happening in it that isn’t already out there in country music. The lyrics of these songs aren’t as complex or interesting as some of the better songs like “I Know A Girl.” Also, it’s not a particularly long album, so I was left wanting more by the time I finished it.  

So, would I recommend you give Priscilla Block’s “Welcome to the Block Party” album a listen? Sure! I don’t think it’ll be the best thing you’ll hear this year, but it’s definitely worth a listen.

Nickie Johnson

George Mason University '22

Nickie Johnson is a senior at George Mason. She is majoring in history and hopes to one day become a school librarian. This is her third year writing for Her Campus, and she has loved every minute of it! She is involved in GMU's Honors College and the George Mason Chapter of Educators Rising Collegiate. In addition to writing, Nickie loves watching movies and reality television, performing showtunes in the mirror, and reading.