Career

7 Struggles When You’re a Student Who’s Constantly Working

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

College is supposed to be the best time of your life, right? For some students, classes are only a small portion of everyday life. Whether it’s a paid retail job, a research assistant role or unpaid internship, working consumes a large chunk of your time.

You basically live in your car

Via Giphy

The floor of your car is probably covered in trash from the breakfast, lunch and dinner you scarfed down between classes and breaks.  

You always feel like you’re missing out

via Giphy

There’s nothing worse than seeing your friends go out and have fun without you all because all you do is work.

People quit inviting you out because they assume you’re working

Via Giphy

I don’t work ~all the time~ so an invite to hang out would be nice.

You’re always tired when you’re off work

Via Giphy

Naps are a blessing, but sleeping for 14+ hours is a slice of heaven.

You forgot how to wear normal clothes

Via Giphy

I always imagined what it was like to wear a uniform to school when I was younger. Any day you’re not wearing dress clothes or a uniform leaves you completely unsure of what to wear. On the other hand, getting home to put on an oversized tee shirt and leggings is the best feeling in the world.

You study at odd hours

Via Giphy

Sometimes you just have to make it work. Whether it’s ten minutes on your lunch break or getting up at 4 am to finish an assignment, you’ve become flexible in your study routine.

People think you always have money to spend

Via Giphy

I may work 40+ hours a week but my money goes towards gas, food and tuition so no… I’m not rich. I’m frugal and responsible with my bank account.  

Let’s get this bread, collegiettes!

Jackie Lorincz

George Mason University '19

Hi! I’m Jackie, a senior majoring in Environmental science. I’m also an active sister of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Writing has always been a hobby of mine and I’m excited for you to read my work! In my free time I love to read and bake, and I’m a huge animal lover, especially dogs!
Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it."