This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Given the present circumstances, Halloween is shaping up to look a little different this year. However, even with social distancing protocols and other protective measures in place worldwide, there are still ways to get into the Halloween spirit from the comfort of your own home. Namely, the underrated genre of Halloween movies! Whether you are a staunch horror fan or still find “Coraline” hair-raising, here are seven Halloween movies that everyone is sure to enjoy!

1. “Halloweentown” (1998)

The premise: When 13-year-old Marnie and her siblings’ eccentric grandmother comes to visit, they soon find themselves whisked off to Halloweentown, a magical town where witches, goblins, ghouls, and other mythical creatures all live in harmony. But that’s not all. Not only is her grandmother a proud resident of Halloweentown, but Marnie and her siblings come from a long line of powerful witches. Soon, it’s up to Marnie and her family to battle the dark forces threatening Halloweentown and the mortal world beyond — that is, if their mother doesn’t ground them first.

Why you’ll love it: “Halloweentown” is brimming with nostalgia, charm, and Halloween cheer. Come for Debbie Reynolds as Marnie’s delightfully witchy grandmother and stay for the talking skeleton cab driver.

2. “Ghostbusters” (1984)

The premise: When three scientists lose their jobs at a New York university, they turn to “ghostbusting” and begin hunting down and exterminating supernatural forces for money. Things take a turn, however, when they happen upon a gateway to another dimension and are forced to save New York from impending ghostly devastation. 

Why you’ll love it: The combined comedic forces of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson make for a hysterical film with plenty of ghoulish fun. The theme song is also iconic in its own right.

3. “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” (1966)

The premise: As Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang prepares for the spookiest day of the year, Linus and Sally patiently wait for the arrival of The Great Pumpkin. As Sally spends Halloween night in a pumpkin patch while her friends enjoy the festivities, she begins to question the existence of Linus’ fabled hero.

Why you’ll love it: There’s a reason this endearing tale has become a yearly Halloween tradition for so many. With loveable characters and a witty script that appeals to young and old alike, this is the perfect film to kick off your Halloween festivities. 

4. “Hocus Pocus” (1993)

The premise: When angsty teen Max is forced to take his younger sister trick-or-treating, he stumbles upon the long-abandoned house of the Sanderson Sisters, a notorious coven of witches. Brushing off a local’s warning as superstitious, he awakens a centuries-old spell that brings the Sanderson Sisters back to Salem, Massachusetts for one night. In a race against the clock, the youngsters must keep an ancient spellbook out of their clutches and prevent the witches from turning immortal.

Why you’ll love it: From the autumnal ambiance of Salem to the children’s talking feline sidekick, Binx, “Hocus Pocus” has cemented itself as a quintessential Halloween film. With spine-chilling thrills, a memorable rendition of “I Put a Spell on You,” and endlessly quotable lines, it’s a film all ages are sure to enjoy.

5. The “Harry Potter” series (2001-2011)

The premise: Orphan Harry Potter is resigned to a cruel existence with his aunt and uncle until a mysterious stranger finds him on his eleventh birthday and tells Harry that he is a wizard. Whisked away to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry is introduced to an incredible world of magic, mythical creatures, and quidditch. But as the dark shadow of Lord Voldemort looms over Harry’s blissful life at Hogwarts, he must continue the battle that began eleven years prior when Voldemort murdered Harry’s parents.

Why you’ll love it: With wizards, werewolves, goblins, trolls, and dementors, the “Harry Potter” franchise has everything you could ever want from a Halloween flick. The Great Hall decorated for Halloween is simply an added bonus.

6. “Addams Family Values” (1993)

The premise: Everyone’s favorite gothic family returns to the big screen in this spooky sequel. This time around, siblings Wednesday and Pugsley must adjust to life with their new baby brother and deal with a new nanny who desperately wants to keep their frightful antics in line.

Why you’ll love it: “The Addams Family” franchise truly finds its footing in this darkly comedic sequel. The film’s exceptional cast, eerie setting, and Wednesday’s deadpan one-liners will keep you coming back for years to come. 

7. “Twilight” (2008)

The premise: When shy teen Bella Swan moves to Forks, Washington, she is prepared for a quiet life with her dad. What she is not prepared for, however, is to be living near a family of mysterious vampires. Instantly infatuated by the perplexing Edward Cullen, Bella soon begins a romance with an immortal vampire.

Why you’ll love it: Whether you’re a TwiHeart true and true or watch the “Twilight” saga ironically, the chilly ambiance of Forks, Washington is perfect for the Halloween season. “Twilight” provides quality vampiric entertainment with a killer soundtrack and plenty of laughs (whether they be intentional or not).

Wishing you a very happy Halloween, collegiettes!!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com