This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Do you find yourself wondering why your skin is breaking out?  There are several answers to that question, it all depends on you!  As ladies, we tend to stress out over the tiniest things and have a lot on our to-do lists.  There are a few things we can do to keep those problem areas in check.  Find the root of the problem and act quickly by trying these steps!

1.      Clean all of your makeup brushes and applicators.  Try using a gentle anti-bacterial soap, like Dial or baby shampoo, to keep the built-up dirt and grim far away from your make up bag and most importantly—your face!  It is best to clean your brushes, pencils, and sponges after about a week depending on the amount of makeup you use.  The last thing you will want to think about is what may be growing overnight in your make up bag when your sound asleep (gasp!).

2.      Sanitize your phone with rubbing alcohol.  We are all guilty of having our phones glued to the side of our faces as we gossip about recent events or the newest hot transfer on campus. But, we never stop to think of how a days’ worth of old make up can lead to a random breakout.  Cell phones also come into contact with different types of bacteria and germs throughout the day.  As you send those 10 texts a minute, you need to remember to sanitize any object that may come into contact with your face.  Take a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol and clean the surface of your phone and the outer case. The rubbing alcohol will kill most of the bacteria on your phone, so you’ll be able to gossip risk-free of breakouts.

3.      Minimize your stress.  With midterms four weeks away, many ladies experience those sporadic breakouts from stress alone.  It is important to organize your workload and class schedules using a planner to prevent procrastination. I recommend that you invest in a stress ball to help relieve the tension you may have as a result from stress.  Both tools will help you relieve your stress, minimize breakouts, and prevent any hair loss because—no one wants that!

4.     Stop touching your face.  The little pads on your fingers hold a lot of bacteria and oils that can easily clog the pores on your face and cause a blemish to pop up.  Just because your hands look clean does not mean they really are.  You should only be touching your face when you are cleansing, toning and moisturizing twice a day.  The bacteria harboring under your finger nails can also be a leading cause for the blemishes on your face. 

5.      Watch the sugar highs.  We all endure the college struggles and pull all-nighters that make us stay up to the crack of dawn.  Studying creates cravings that make you feel like you’re in need of sugar, but we must draw the line and watch the amount of chocolate splurges we go on.  Do not give in to the sugary temptation!  Substitute those sugary items and make smarter choices by eating fruits or nuts.  They will give you all the sustainable energy you need to finish your assignments on time.      

6.      Mask your face.  If you want to maintain the healthy glow to your skin, try using a mask on your face at least once a week.  Us collegiettes all have different skin types and it is important to use a mask according to your skin type.  If you have an oily skin type, you should try using a clay-based mask twice a week to prevent the oils from causing a break out.  If you have more of a dry or combination skin type, a moisturizing mask once a week will keep your skin hydrated and prevent dry skin from clogging your pores.

Christen Roberts

George Mason University

Christen is a communication major, concentrating in public relations and double minoring in events management and journalism at George Mason University. She serves as Co-Vice President of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and as an executive board director of the Patriot Activities Council in the Office of Student Involvement. She is also a member of the GMU PINK street team. When she is not working an event on-campus or at the gym, she likes to shop and catch up on the latest trends in the fashion magazines. She is currently obsessed with organic food and Whole Foods. You can catch her on Twitter @C0SM0_girl.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com