This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As the currently abounding pumpkin decor and falling leaves have probably indicated to you, we have officially entered the bewitching month of October. If you love the Halloween season as much as I do, you have probably found yourself gravitating towards more thrilling and supernatural books and movies to fully embrace the chilly change in season.

With the onset of October, there are several books I’ve had on my radar that I would like to read before the end of this month. Do we have any of the same books on our lists? You’ll have to keep reading to find out!

1. “Dracula” by Bram Stoker

Stoker’s classic novel provided the origins for the enduring vampire we know today as Count Dracula. Told in a series of diary entries, newspaper articles and letters, this gothic novel tells the unforgettable story of Jonathan Harker’s visit to Count Dracula’s eerie Transylvanian castle. Along with Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein,” there is perhaps no better classic novel to pick up during the Halloween season.

2. “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn

Is there a more quintessential domestic thriller than Gillian Flynn’s “Gone Girl?” This immensely popular novel tells the twisted story of Nick and Amy Dunne. When Amy vanishes on the couple’s fifth wedding anniversary, Nick becomes a prime suspect in the building media frenzy surrounding her disappearance. But as passages from Amy’s journal come to light and a tangled web of events unravel, Nick’s avowed innocence could prove true.

3. “Misery” by Stephen King

This haunting psychological thriller follows Paul Sheldon, a bestselling novelist who finds himself in the care of his biggest fan after a freak car accident. However, Paul soon learns that his savior’s intentions are far from altruistic, as his very survival becomes contingent on finishing his most popular book series in a way that appeases his unstable guardian.

4. “The Ex Hex” by Erin Sterling

A delightful mix of “Bewitched” and “Halloweentown,” this fantastical novel follows Vivienne Jones, a young witch who unwittingly cursed her ex-boyfriend after a tumultuous breakup nine years ago. When the pair are reunited at her town’s annual fall festival, Vivienne soon realizes that her nine-year-old curse may be to blame for an endless string of disasters. With the picturesque Graves Glen under attack, Vivienne will do whatever it takes to protect her town, even if it means teaming up with the warlock who broke her heart.

5. “The Taking of Jake Livingston” by Ryan Douglass

Being a high schooler at St. Clair Prep is hard enough. But Jake Livingston’s problems are only compounded by the fact that he can see the dead. Normally, the ghosts surrounding Jake on a day-to-day basis keep to themselves. That is, until Jake finds himself haunted by the ghost of a particularly vengeful spirit. When unexplainable events begin happening around Jake, he becomes trapped in a brutal game of survival.

6. “Verity” by Colleen Hoover

This thrilling novel follows Lowen Ashleigh, a struggling author who accepts a mysterious offer from the husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford. As Verity recovers from physical injuries, Lowen is tasked with completing the author’s popular book series. While in the couple’s home, Lowen discovers Verity’s unfinished autobiography, which contains startling omissions and secrets. At first, Lowen is determined to keep its contents a secret from Verity’s husband, Jeremy. But as Lowen begins to develop feelings for him, she considers disclosing the devastating truths that could destroy their marriage.

Happy reading, collegiettes! May your October reads be as chilling as the weather outside.

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.