mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

5 People You Need to Know About This Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As the end of February is quickly approaching, it is important to remember and attribute the societal successes the Black community has contributed and show gratitude for each of their accomplishments. February has month has flown by but, nonetheless, let us not forget to thank those who have worked hard and struggled for the majority. This Black History month think about the best in the minority and how they helped form the majority.

1. Stevie Wonder

The legendary artist, originally named Stevland Hardaway Morris, captured the music scene by his experimental rock influences, passion for his craft and drive to create new, modern music. Stevie Wonder contributed to the music industry by not only being a world-class entertainer but also by mobilizing music to those who are visually impaired. Although Wonder personally is blind, he encourages and openly speaks out about his experiences to spread awareness of the struggles the blind community face. Alongside that, Wonder also uses his premier status to speak out about certain topics apparent in his rise to fame such as social injustice, racism and sexual discrimination.

Via Wikipedia

2. Angela Davis

Angela Davis is a revolutionary political activist, scholar and author, best known for her attributes to the fight for civil rights and gender equality. Davis was briefly affiliated with the Black Panther Party and Communist Party of the USA but eventually left both groups to become a scholar, earning teaching positions and studying at Brandeis University, University of Frankfurt and University of California, as well other universities globally. Today, Davis continues her studies in feminism, philosophy, African-American studies, critical theory, Marxism and social consciousness.

Via Biography

3. Yara Shahidi

Relatively “new” to the social scene is19-year-old Yara Shahid. Getting her big break from starring in the show “Black-ish,” Shahidi has quickly obtained fame not only because of her funny and relatable roles but also because of her political activism towards youth and adolescents. In her 19 years of age, Shahidi has managed to act, model and develop multiple political organizations such as Eighteen x 18, the Young Women’s Leadership Network of New York and many others. Although Shahidi shares many different passions, her heart to serve and influence the next generation is by far the most admirable thing about this new star.

Via TedxTeen

4. Sidney Poitier

Sidney Poitier is an actor, film director, author and diplomat that grew into the spotlight through his participation and contribution to film. Poitier has used his platform to speak about many topics such as racial discrimination, poverty and other class-related issues. Poitier was also the first Black man to win an Academy Award for Best Actor and has been referred to many as a “remarkable artist and human being”. Today, he continues to serve his community by directing, producing, and inspiring any young actors to follow in his footsteps.

Via Golden Globes

5. Jean-Michel Basquiat

Basquiat, a famous New York artist, was a part of the neo-expressionism art movement in the late 70s to 80s, who brought pop culture and abstract art together. At the age of 17, he ran away from home and lived with friends by selling homemade postcards and graffitiing walls of the subway. His art focused on classism and systematic racism, leaving many impressions on the public. Basquiat has worked with many other artists such as Andy Warhol and David Bowie. Basquiat’s work has inspired many artists known today and continues to do so through the timeless art world.

Via Basquiat

As this Black History month comes to an end, think about the individuals in your own life and educate yourself to see the achievements our peers have done to get us where we are today. Remember, everyone deserves to be celebrated, collegiettes!

Fiorella Izquierdo

George Mason University '23

Fiorella Izquierdo is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. She is happiest when she has a magazine in one hand and a chai latte in the other. Music, fashion, and cooking are some of her other passions, which keeps her busy in her free time. In the future, Fiorella hopes to work as a creative director and travel the world doing what she loves!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com