This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

This Black History Month is all about black women. Even though we have the Black Girl Magic and Natural Hair movements, black women are still underappreciated, which is why this month is in honor of black women everywhere. In the spirit of the Black Woman History Month, here are a few reads you should give a try:

1. “Becoming” by Michelle Obama

Of course, the first suggested book is by the flawless, forever FLOTUS, Michelle Obama. After being shoved into the public eye for 8 years and handling the hate with grace, Michelle Obama expresses herself in the light that she desires as she shares her life before the White House, before Barack, and before adulthood.

Via Amazon

2. “Homegoing” by Yaa Gyasi

“You are your ancestor’s wildest dream.” Homegoing is the perfect novel to read for deep reflecting on your black identity. Gyasi’s novel is an eight generation legacy story that starts with the lives of two sisters long lost sisters who lived very different lives. The novel will make you reflect on the challenges and struggles your ancestors faced for you to be where you are today. This novel is an iconic read, so make sure you grab a copy.

Via Amazon

3. “The BreakBeat Poets Vol. 2: Black Girl Magic” edited by Mahogany L. Browne, Idrissa Simmonds and Jamila Woods; Foreword by Patricia Smith

From the wildness of our curls, the whispers of our tears, the fire in our hearts and much more, Black Girl Magic is a collection of poems that explore many aspects of a black woman’s experience from childhood to coming of age and to womanhood. As you read each poem, you can truly understand the power and weight of every word written by the poets.

Via Amazon

4. “The Sisters Are Alright: Changing the Broken Narrative of Black Women in America” by Tamara Winfrey Harris

Harris’s book is like a diary full of the constant struggles and everyday issues of black women. She explores damaging stereotypes, sexuality, beauty standards, health and many more topics concerning black women that are not well addressed within the black community or general society.

Via Amazon

5. “Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person” by Shonda Rhimes

Get out of your comfort zone and take risks. It is still a newish year which means you have time to take up a new goal which is to start saying yes more. Shonda Rhimes’s book is the perfect guide for you to find more opportunities and experiences by changing your mentality. Even if you are the Queen/King of canceling plans in favor of Netflix, it would not hurt to follow through every once in a while and see what could happen.

Via Amazon

Happy Black History Month, collegiettes!

Jada Robinson

George Mason University '19

Jada is a junior at GMU with a major in Integrative Studies with a concentration in International Studies. She loves nail art, reading, and music. When she is not studying or working, she is usually away on a day trip, laughing at standup specials on Netflix, or resisting the urge to shop at the mall.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com