4 Last Minute Spring Break Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When faced with the challenge of coming up with a few spring break essentials for us girls (who would take our entire lives with us if we could), I needed to come up with a different approach. Yes, I could tell you to take sunscreen, Cosmo, and a cute beach tote, but obviously you will be bringing those things whether I suggest them or not. Therefore, here are a few things you may find useful on your getaway that you wouldn’t necessarily think of…

1. A Spray Tan
Obviously you’re are going to need to take a few bottle of sunscreen with you, especially because your skin is not used to the harsh rays of sun you will find in Panama City. You could embrace your pale skin while frolicking on the beach…or you could just feel embarrassed when you spot that bronzed bod playing volleyball a few towels over. And let me tell you, you’re paler than you think you are (just stalk some pictures of yourself last summer and then last winter…there’s a difference, a big one). So try out Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Moisturizer; it doesn’t leave you streaky like the Jergens lotion and is easy to work with because it is foam. If you’re looking for a spray tan that doesn’t leave you orange, I found that Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Mist leaves me looking like I spent a month in the Virgin Islands.

2. A Gulp Mug
My roommate has recently discovered that a cup can change your life forever.  This isn’t just any cup. It is a magenta tiki head with a swirly straw attached and a few decorations. This tiki cup is her lifeline; she makes sure to never leave a party without it. This weekend she lost it and was thrilled when a friend casually mentioned he had it. Now, you are wondering why this is essential for spring break. Instead of a tiki head cup, I suggest more of a gulp mug. You can take the mug with you from the beach to the hotel to the party will come in handy. Fill it with water
before you go play in the sand, so you don’t have to spend all your money on overpriced Aquafinas. Take it out at night with its handy lid, so you won’t have to worry about a flimsy solo cup spilling down your sequined tank top when a crazy spring breaker knocks into you.  

3. A Jacket
Yes, you will be bringing every Victoria’s Secret bathing suit you own. You will also be bringing every sundress, cute cover-up, and pair of sandals in your closet that you didn’t happen to leave at home. But let’s not forget that when the sun sets in these tropical places, you’re bound to get a little chilly. Pack a light jacket, sweater, sweatshirt, or sleeved shirt…whatever suits you best, so you won’t be complaining at that nice dinner on a balcony overlooking the ocean. Packing a pair of jeans or yoga pants probably wouldn’t hurt either.

4. A Disposable Camera
I’m obsessed with my digital camera, but being the one who always takes the pictures has its downfalls. People always want to look through them all right after they are taken, screaming, “OH MY GOD, DELETE THATTTTT!” Once they are on Facebook, there are comments conveying on them the same message. If you’re the token camera girl, I’m sure you can completely relate. Of course you’ll be taking your digital camera along for the ride on your vacation, but buy a cheap disposable
camera at Target to take too. Snap a photo at the most random moments, and the pictures will be a surprise once they are developed. I guarantee they will be hilarious, and these pictures thankfully can’t just be untagged or deleted. You can then use them to stick on your dorm wall or even make a scrap book of your fabulous spring break 2012 trip, which I’m sure will be unforgettable.  

Avalon Swindell Jones

George Mason University

Avalon is a senior at George Mason University, majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and minoring in both business and electronic journalism.  She has been writing for Her Campus since fall 2011, allowing her to discover her passion for writing.  Her favorite topics to write about are relationships, embarrassing moments, and nights out.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.