5 Food Hacks for George Brown Casa Loma Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Brown CA chapter.

Disclaimer: I am so tired while writing this article, but the student community matters too much to me. 

I know we aren’t on campus right now, but it’s better to be prepared before stepping our feet into those creaky hallways again. For all of the George Brown College (GBC) students who go to the Casa Loma campus, we all know that finding food on campus is a huge struggle. St. James’ students have the chefs cooking for them, whereas Waterfront students are pretty much in downtown – near many food places. Eating in the food court is indeed a shortcut for many of us on budgets, but we need to understand that we must treat ourselves with a hearty meal. 

If you’re looking for some food and restaurant hacks near campus, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s begin!

Walk toward Dupont Station

I’m sure we all know where Dupont Station is, even if we can’t navigate with the compass properly. The Casa Loma campus is just a 10-minute walk away from the station, and although well-rated restaurants aren’t near Casa Loma, you will definitely find some of them close to Dupont Station. Whenever I commute home after class, I see students entering cozy cafes on all sides of the street. If you want a dose of caffeine to prepare you for a three-hour class, feel free to browse around Dupont Station. 

Some locations: 

Creeds Coffee Bar (390 Dupont Street) 
First & Last Coffee Shop (346 Dupont Street) 
Ezra’s Pound (238 Dupont Street)
Country Style (272 Dupont Street)

Go to the Casa Loma Tea Party

So many events happen in Casa Loma! From halloween haunted houses to tea parties, the place is the perfect destination for adventurers. The castle in itself is just like a time-machine; you can literally return to the Edwardian era with the perfect cup of tea, in a beautiful room. The event is usually hosted in the winter with sandwhiches and live music. Be sure to bring your friends there and share the memories together!

Walk toward Spadina Station

We all need an exercise after class. If you feel the need to stretch your legs, try to go out on a walk from Casa Loma to Spadina station. It may feel like a hike at first, but once when you arrive, you will thank yourself for the sacrifices. There are plenty of shops around Spadina station, not only pertaining to cafes or convenience stores. But what if you want to go to the heart of downtown? Fear not, just turn on your left-hand side and continue walking straight. You’ll find yourself in front of Chatime in around 10-15 minutes. 

Walk to Midtown. 

Alright, I know that many of us may choose to take the Dupont route. However, taking the subway to St. Clair station and going on the streetcar towards Spadina is a far more adventurous trip. Not only will you see a beautiful, tourist destination in front of your eyes, but you will also recognize this tip. For those who are not downtown fanatics, midtown may be the calling to your heart: just head towards Casa Loma and continue walking straight. You will find yourself exploring a major street, with plenty of restaurants and shops, in no time. 

Go to the Timmies near Campus

Okay, listen up Casa Loma students. There are two Tim Hortons: one inside the school building and the other outside of the school building. Instead of going to the one inside of the school, go to the one outside of the building. I know walking may be a hassle in the winter, but the minimal waiting time and quick customer service make up for the effort. Not only are the lines shorter, but customers are also allowed to use their points card. The one in the building does not accept the rewards card – at all!

There you have it! Regardless if you are a new or returning student at George Brown College, these tips will definitely help you find the perfect place to dine after a long day of classes. Casa Loma may seem like a dead campus with limited food options, but please realize that the previous phrase is simply a misconception. In fact, so many cafes and restaurants do exist around campus even if they are hiding from us. I hope you can now find those treasures and bring your friends there as well. 

Bon appetite!

Candice Zhang

George Brown CA '21

Fashion Management student who loves coffee, writing, and friends.